You’re on-the-go. You’re hungry. You’re health-conscious. You’re thinking to yourself, I’m outta luck.

Fortunately for you, Luke Saunders, the founder of Farmer’s Fridge, was in the same situation a few years ago. Like many a traveling salesmen, Saunders realized that there were no good options for healthy food on-the-go. Thus, Farmer’s Fridge was born.

salad vending machines

Photo by Jackie Tang

The Farmer’s Fridge menu provides tons of salads, snacks and proteins (including a vegan option) to satisfy all of your healthy cravings.

“Our most important goal is to make the food healthy, accessible and affordable,” said Saunders. “We follow a list of the 12 fruits and vegetables that have the most pesticides, and make those organic. The local stuff gets added in on a seasonal basis.”

salad vending machines

Photo by Jackie Tang

The food is healthy and it’s portable. Remember that whole salad-in-a-jar craze? Impress everyone by carrying around your trendy salad for all to see. Your cheeseburger-wielding friends will secretly wish they were you.

In addition to catering to health enthusiasts, Farmer’s Fridge has the sustainability crowd covered as well. Jars and lids are 100% recyclable, with on-site recycling at each kiosk. Better still, you can keep that jar and use it to store all of your healthy dorm-room snacks. Seriously, why pass up on free storage?

Even better, whatever food is not bought during the day is picked up at night and donated to a Chicago food-donation organization called Zero Percent.

salad vending machines

Photo by Jackie Tang

Farmer’s Fridge products are not only healthy and portable but delicious too. We Spoonies tried the Shaved Veggie & Kale Salad with maple-sherry vinaigrette and the Southwest Salad with avocado-lime dressing. Each dressing came in a container inside the jar, which you can pour over your salad and mix it up. The combination of fruits, vegetables, and grains fit perfectly with each dressing and tasted ~so fresh~.

#SpoonTip: To best distribute the dressing, put the lid back on and shake that baby up.

salad vending machines

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

There are currently 30 Farmer’s Fridge locations, but Saunders says that the company is “working hard to expand outside Chicago in the next 12 to 18 months, both to Chicago suburbs and other cities around the U.S.”

salad vending machines

Photo by Jackie Tang

Saunders said that Farmer’s Fridge has plans not only to expand to other cities, but also to college campuses — your school could be next.