Chipotle lovers beware: 43 stores in Washington and Oregon are being closed down after being linked with a recent E. Coli outbreak. So far, three people in Oregon and 19 people in Washington have become sick, seventeen of whom had eaten at Chipotle in the previous weeks.

According to a statement issued by the FDA, Chipotle has been extremely cooperative and has voluntarily shut down its stores until the investigation finds where the source of infection originated. A possible source of contamination is the fresh produce delivered to Chipotle.

Chipotle

Photo by Molly Krohe

Medical professionals are advising anyone experiencing intestinal symptoms to see their doctor immediately. Marisa D’Angeli, a medical epidemiologist with the Washington State Department of Health, said she expects the number of cases to rise once customers become aware of the situation and report possible signs of illness.

Luckily for the rest of us, there have been no reported E. Coli outbreaks outside of Washington and Oregon, so we can safely enjoy our favorite burrito bowls without fear.