The Howard Thurman Center is a place for learning more about yourself and others, and shaping your outlook on the world through collaboration and interaction.

HTC holds Tea Time every Thursday from 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m., where you can not only try some exotic teas, but also learn about the origins of the teas and how they’re brewed in the parts of the world from where they come from.

Enter our doors and experience the magic of #TeaTime at 4 pm today! #thiscouldBU

A photo posted by Howard Thurman Center (@buhtc) on

The teas chosen are often based on a theme. So a Tea Time session on Thursday before Halloween naturally had some funky stuff to drink and talk about. I tried the Glitter and Gold black tea, which is made of Chinese black tea, gold sugar balls, lemon peel, cloves, vanilla and other flavoring, and the Swampwater, that contains green rooibos (a bush like plant in South Africa), strawberry granules, calendula (a plant similar to marigolds and daisies), black and orange candies, pineapple and soy (and yes, it did look like swamp water).

I didn’t warm up to the Glitter and Gold (which also contains gelatin) – it was slightly bitter and the flavors overwhelm your senses, but adding honey generously might solve the problem. I fared better with the Swampwater – it had a clear and fresh taste that comes through best when you forego any sweeteners.

Tea Howard Thurman Center

Photo by Jaye Lind

These are not the only eccentric flavors that get offered, you might stumble across Red Velvet, or Mexican Hot Chocolate (which is still tea), Popcorn or Blueberry Jam as well. But if you are a well-season tea drinker, then you may always try the Orange Spice (White tea, orange peel and cinnamon), Moroccan Mint (mint leaves), Jasmine Green (Green tea, jasmine flavor) and Aged Early Grey (Assam Black Tea, bergamot – a fruit).

Tea Howard Thurman Center

Photo by Jaye Lind

The Aged Earl Grey, is sharp and strong and should be steeped for a long time for maximum flavor. Make sure to not add too much milk as it may dilute the flavor. The Chamomile Lemon is ideal for sipping before bedtime – the subtle sweet flowery flavor quickly relaxes you and lulls you to sleep. It should be drunk without milk.

You are welcome to stay for as long as you want. If you find yourself craving more tea, you can always stop by at the Center to pick up a sachet. Food and drinks are an instinctual way to bond with other people, and the Howard Thurman Center’s Tea Time provides an opportunity for exactly that.