Ahh Binghamton. You are not without your flaws. But, one thing you get right every time, how delicious your pierogies are. Your title, “Pierogy Capital of America,” is definitely well deserved.

What is a Pierogy?

Pierogies, Pierogis, Pirogis, Pirohi, Varenyky (no matter what way you spell it or what native name you call it) are a magical Eastern European filled dumpling. Each pierogy is made by wrapping a pocket of dough around a various filling, and boiling them to perfection. They can then be fried or baked in a bath of butter. Fillings usually include mashed potatoes with the addition of: onion, every type of cheese imaginable, cabbage, sauerkraut, spinach, and even bacon. YES BACON!

Pierogy

Binghamton’s Greatest Honor

Did you know that from 2006-2009, Binghamton won the title of “Mrs. T’s Capital of the Pierogy Pocket of America“? Mrs. T’s is a Pennsylvania-based company that makes and distributes pierogies to different grocery stores country-wide. For the contest, a city is nominated, and the vote is left up to the people to decide.

According to BU Pipe Dream, a nomination petition with over 1,000 signatures, a mayoral proclamation, pictures, videos, and news articles were all submitted to help Binghamton win this title.

Pierogy

Photo courtesy of pierogypocket.com

Where You Should Go for the Piero(gy)

The best place to find pierogies in Binghamton? St. Michael’s Catholic Church on Clinton Street. The members of the church come together and make each pierogie by hand, just for you! Every Thursday and Friday during Lent, which runs through March 25 this year, you can order these prize winning pierogies, that were once voted best in the country. For only $9 a dozen, you should definitely order some of these homemade helpings of heaven.

Pierogy

Photo courtesy of newfinmysoup.blogspot.com

Hands down, these are the best pierogies I have ever tasted. 10/10 recommend. They beat every other pierogie out there. And at just a 10 minute drive from Binghamton University’s campus, getting pierogies from St. Michael’s should be your next Friday night plans.

Pierogy