As a New England native, I’ve been frequenting Ben & Jerry’s locations for as long as I can remember. There’s always a storefront close by, and I remember going to their Free Cone Day every year with my brother or my sports team. After a long four-year hiatus, Ben & Jerry’s is officially bringing back Free Cone Day, and I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for free ice cream.

What’s Free Cone Day at Ben & Jerry’s?

In a statement, the company told loyal customers to have “cones at the ready, it promises to be bigger than ever on Monday, April 3, 2023.” The best part of Free Cone Day — you can choose whatever flavor you want. 

When did Free Cone Day start?

Free Cone Day’s hiatus happened because of the pandemic, but Ben & Jerry’s began the tradition in Burlington, Vermont back in 1979 in celebration of their first year in business. “The co-founders decided to open the doors and scoop free ice cream," the brand said in a statement. "It wasn't just a taste. It wasn't just one flavor. It was all the ice cream the duo could churn out."

Free Cone Day isn’t just for the customers. While the company’s goal is to serve over a million scoops around the world, they’re also using the day as an opportunity to give back. A handful of their “Scoop Shops” will be partnering with their local nonprofits, who they say “often benefit from much of the energy around Free Cone Day.”

Given the long break and the hype surrounding it, this year’s Free Cone Day is looking to be Ben & Jerry’s best yet. If you want more information on everything Free Cone Day, Ben & Jerry’s has a whole page dedicated to the day on their website. I already took the quiz, so I’ll be getting Cherry Garcia — at least, for my first scoop.