Lincoln Rice is arguably the funniest character on Broad City. The fun-loving dentist and dog enthusiast is constantly talking about food. Baking comforts him.

al dente dentist

Gif courtesy of hellogiggles.com

And so does eating.

al dente dentist

His sweet humor comes through in his blog, The Al Dente Dentist. When Lincoln mentioned the blog on the show, it was a quick play on words, and there was no reason to believe it existed.

Afterward, Broad City staff quietly set up a tumblr for The Al Dente Dentist. Only devoted die hard Broad City Fans (or avid googlers) would be able to see that it really exists.

I’m here to say that his blog is real, and it is wonderful.

al dente dentist

Photo courtesy of thealdentedentist.tumblr.com

On his blog, Lincoln combines all his loves – dentistry, dogs, and pasta – into every post. He also throws in an Italian word of the week. Here are a few reasons why The Al Dente Dentist blog is perfect.

Low Quality

al dente dentist

There are plenty of food tumblrs that look beautiful or at least have beautiful photos. The Al Dente Dentist is not like that. Actually, it’s charmingly awful quality-wise. It’s filled with photos that look less like they were taken by a mid twenty-something and more like they were taken by a slightly overzealous grandma who tried six different angles on her 2003 Nikon point-and-shoot and (the worst part) left the flash on.

Pictured above is a creamy, bacon-y pasta dish that probably tastes delicious, but it sure doesn’t look that appetizing. But his descriptions of the dishes are so earnest that you can’t be mad at his photography skills.

Dogs, Dentistry and Jokes

al dente dentist

Photo courtesy of zap2it.com

The best part of the blog, hands down, is the dentist and dog discussion in each post. Nearly every post starts with some anecdote about dogs or dentistry, and the best have both. One post even contains a video for proper pet teeth brushing technique. It makes sense, because Lincoln is frequently falling for dogs.

But sadly, he won’t get one of his own.

al dente dentist

GIF courtesy of ilanaswexler.tumblr.com

His clarification in each post are what make the blog that much more entertaining to read. He writes “wine” in parentheses next to vino, calls lasagna “the birthday cake of pasta,” and refers to EVOO as “extra virgin olive oil. But after I use it it’s just olive oil LOL.” He also advises readers on how to buy prosciutto properly “IMPORTANT: make sure your butcher cuts it bible-paper-thin. Also make sure to say thank you.”

These wonderful little nuggets of humor are scattered through both the recipes and anecdotes.

Recipes

al dente dentist

Photo courtesy of thealdentedentist.tumblr.com

On his very first post, Lincoln defines what The Al Dente Dentist really is, “cooked, but still firm.”

As a whole, his recipes are pretty standard and simple and don’t need much instruction. They’re all pasta, and they all sound good.

In general, most of Lincoln’s recipes aren’t original – they are from blogs or from a Barefoot Contessa cookbook. But that’s so not important.

Ratings

al dente dentist

Possibly the best part of the recipes, besides everything mentioned above, are the recipe ratings. Lincoln usually has a few categories with which he rates each recipe. I think the highest a category can achieve is a rating of five, and I think what he uses to gauge this is pictures of meatballs (sauce puddles? pepperonis? I really don’t know).

Either way, the categories constantly change, so the ratings are pretty inconsistent from one recipe to another.

Overall, The Al Dente Dentist is a beautiful representation of Lincoln. Every single post, whether discussing a dog riding a bus or rating down a recipe’s taste because he had a bad day, sounds exactly like Lincoln.

How charming is this blog? I’ll say one thing to whoever put it together: crushed it.

al dente dentist

Photo courtesy of giphy.com