Just like any devoted foodie, I have a rule to never turn down free food. I also consider myself a rather adventurous eater, so you can imagine the excitement I felt when I overheard the peppy voice of a Whole Foods employee ask, “would you like a chocolate hummus sample?”

chocolate hummus

Photo by Maddie Stein

I’m sorry…..did you just say chocolate hummus? Despite my confusion/disbelief/skepticism, I knew this was something I needed to try. And boy am I glad I did. I was absolutely blown away by the flavor (and apparently so was my mother, who ended up putting three containers in our cart).

With the decadence of Nutella, but only one-third the calories and sugar content, Hope Foods’ Dark Chocolate Spread should be a staple in any health-conscious chocolate-lover’s diet. In addition to organic cocoa powder and garbanzo beans, this delectable dip is infused with coconut sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla, and espresso, meaning every bite packs a flavor punch.

Although I never would have expected this to be a winning combo, I was truly impressed (possibly because the dominant taste is the rich dark chocolate…no complaints there). Excellent dipping vehicles include pretzels, crackers, cookies, and fruit, but eating the spread by the spoonful is equally encouraged if that’s your style.

chocolate hummus

Photo by Maddie Stein

Apparently Hope Foods isn’t the only one utilizing this bold ingredient pairing. Self Magazine produced a list of other chocolate-chickpea products and Pinterest has been swimming with recipes such as Dark Chocolate Chickpea Brownies, Garbanzo Bean Chocolate Cake, and Peanut Butter Chocolate Chickpea Cookies.

chocolate hummus

Photo courtesy of theroastedroot.net

It’s time to throw your caution to the wind and give this dynamic duo a try; your tastebuds will thank you.

Craving some more interesting food combos? These articles have got you covered.