It’s getting cold and you may or not be missing your parents and home-cooked meals. Fret not; here’s a list of some of the best options to warm you up and remind you of home.

Breakfast Food

comfort food

Photo by Alex Weiner

The best way to soak up all the alc from last night is breakfast (or brunch). If you’re lucky enough to still have a meal plan, make a waffle, smear it with crunchy PB and add syrup. I know you really don’t want to take the extra time to make a waffle, but it’s the best decision you’ll make all weekend. Cafe Zola serves up some amazing omelets, crepes and waffles too. We’re even talking waffles topped with ice cream. Wafel Shop also has a nice waffle selection. And if you’re really ravenous like I am at 1 pm on Sunday, check out Sava’s famous brunch buffet. Nothing beats an unlimited buffet of amazing food, while sipping a mimosa and trying to piece together what happened last night.
discount nike air max
Sandwiches
Frita Batidos is the ultimate comfort food. A Cuban patty of meat, fish or beans, topped with shoestring fries and your choice of toppings, all piled high on the perfect egg bun, is any AA local’s fave splurge. Not only are the fritas a huge hit, but the batidos are amazing too. They are essentially milkshakes, but better, and in different flavors like chocolate Español and coconut cream. The perfect drink to pair with your frita.

Mac and Cheese

comfort food

Zingerman’s Roadhouse. Photo by Annie Madole

Sava’s is pretty well-known for their mac and cheese, but Blue Tractor has a great selection, such as fried pimento mac which are fried balls of mac and cheese served with BBQ sauce for dipping. They also serve mac & blue, with blue cheese crumbles and the triple mac and cheese, with three different types of cheeses. See which local spot we think has the best mac and cheese in Restaurant War: Mac and Cheese.
nike free running shoe
Sweets

comfort food

Photo by Alex Weiner

Rod’s Diner not only serves some great Bibimbap, but also froyo, which you can mix with any of your favorite toppings into what has become known as a collider. A weird combo right? Check out the back story of Rod’s Diner, here. And chocolate chip cookies? Mojo is the ult answer here. Don’t feel bad if you take take half the tray when it comes out of the oven, because everyone does at some point in their Michigan career. People won’t even judge you for it, because they get it.
nike free 7.0 women
Cheesy Bread
Pizza House cheesy bread is the perfect comforting food, whether it’s 2 am after a long night out, or mid-studying for finals. Some say that it’s basically cheese pizza that you dip in marinara, but I say it’s pizza without the commitment. You can even make your order online from bed and have it delivered. How can that not be comforting.