As you read this, you’re probably thinking, “Patagonia is a clothing company, why would anyone ever want to buy soup from there? Also, what even is ‘tsampa’ anyways?” I’ll admit it, I was pretty doubtful the first time I tried it. Just how good can camping food from a package be? Well, as it turns out, it’s pretty damn good. Tsampa is a type of roasted barley with a nutty flavor that gives this soup its depth of flavor. Its a staple in the diets of many people in the mountain regions of Nepal and Tibet, and Patagonia’s version not only does it justice, but also makes the perfect lunch for an avid hiker or a college student on the go. Here are a few reasons you should get your hands on this soup ASAP.

1. It’s made entirely with certified-organic, non-GMO ingredients

tsampa soup

Courtesy of patagoniaprovisions.com

From start to finish, the ingredients in this soup are nothing but wholesome. If you are what you eat, rest assured you’ll be glad to be tsampa soup.

2. Tsampa provides a serious amount of energy

tsampa soup

Courtesy of patagoniaprovisions.com

This soup, which contains high amounts of whole grains, is used in Nepal and Tibet as a simple way to provide fuel for high-altitude performance. Now you might not be hiking every day, it will do similar wonders for that mountain of finals studying you still have to do.

3. It’s just plain good for you

tsampa soup

Courtesy of patagoniaprovisions.com

Made from a healthy blend of tsampa, vegetables, herbs and spices and high in antioxidants, the soup is guaranteed to leave you feeling refreshed.

4. You can use it to make all sorts of delicious combinations

tsampa soup

Courtesy of patagoniaprovisions.com

How do you tsampa? Feel free to come up with your own new recipes using the tsampa soup base or check out the Patagonia website for all sorts of great ideas.

5. It’s easy and college friendly

tsampa soup

Courtesy of patagoniaprovisions.com

This soup doesn’t need to be refrigerated, comes in a small package and won’t expire anytime soon. All you need is a pot, a couple of cups of water and a heating element and you’re on your way to tsampa.

6. It’s perfect for camping

tsampa soup

Courtesy of patagoniaprovisions.com

If you enjoy hiking as much as I do, I’m sure that you’ve noticed that nothing tastes better than when you’re eating it on top of a mountain. Tsampa soup is no exception: it comes together in a matter of minutes and nothing feels more rewarding then sitting down with your warm bowl after a long day’s hike.