If you’re looking for something new and interesting to do this weekend, the Austin Food and Wine fest is in town and folks, it’s going to be delicious. Yes, even more delicious than late-night  Jimmy Johns drunk eating. And way classier too.

Yes, it’s where culinary excellence and committed foodies collide. And even if you aren’t a self-proclaimed “foodie” it would be crazy to say that you won’t have fun at this festival.

food and wine festival

Photo by mymilestone.com

What is it exactly? Well, in simple terms it’s a festival here in Austin put on by the Austin Food and Wine Alliance that showcases Texas food, wine and beer all in 3 days. The festival, a feast for all senses, is going on it’s third year and it is said that this year will be the one to take the cake.

Austin Beers

Photo by Kathleen Lee.

There are chefs to admire, food to taste and beer/wine/cocktails to drink. Here, you can swap out Natty Lite for Ranger Creek and Jimmy Johns for gourmet sushi. How’s THAT for drunk eating?

Here, both national and local chefs come to showcase their talents and you get to reap the benefits by picking their brains for culinary direction and, of course, tasting their creations.

East Side King Review

Photo by Gabby Phi.

The festival is a way for you to finally try all of those local Austin restaurants you’ve been meaning to but haven’t had the chance to. Chefs like Aaron Franklin (Franklin’s BBQ), Paul Qui (East Side King), Tatsu Aikawa (Ramen Tatsu-Ya) and Alexis Chong (Sway) will be there along with other Texas favorites. Something even more alluring is the opportunity to interact with each one, whether personally or through the various events taking place during the weekend. Just think: if you’re left jobless after graduation, you’ll at least have some insight into what it takes to be an award-winning chef, amiright?

According to the event website, there are 2 ticket options available to buy: a Taste Pass ($250) and a Savor Pass ($850). The Taste Pass gets you into the festival, chef demos and panels and The Grand Tasting (the ability to go through the festival and try the different food/drinks), but the Savor Pass gets you admission into the various special culinary events like the Taste of Texas and the Rock Your Taco Celebrity Chef Showdown. It’s like watching the Food Network only you’re right in the middle of the action.

austin-food-wine-festival-2012

Photo by eater.com

And if food and drinks are not enough to win you over, musical guests will also be making appearances to bring the event full circle. So if you have a little too much wine you can always just dance it off and come back the next day for more.

So, my advice to you is to ditch the frat parties and your Netflix account for the weekend and make your way to the Food and Wine fest this weekend.