If you were fortunate enough to grow up in the great state of Texas, you know more than well how delicious food can be. However, if you also decided around the age of 18 that you wanted to “see other parts of the country” or “expand your horizons” then you quickly found out that food in Texas is simply superior to anywhere else in the country.

To make sure you cover all the bases on your next trip home, we’ve combined the quintessential Texan cuisines in this handy list.

Really feelin’ for Tim Riggins over here #texasforever.

texas

GIF courtesy of tumblr.com

1. Breakfast Tacos

texas

Photo courtesy of Sabrina Scott

Not only are breakfast tacos delicious, but they’re with out a doubt one of the best hangover cures. Sure, bacon, egg, and cheeses are great but try them in a tortilla with some salsa and tell me that isn’t better. You can see why Texans across the country would be confused when they can’t find a breakfast taco come Sunday morning.

2. Kolaches

texas

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

If you ever drive between Austin and Dallas and don’t stop in West, Texas for a kolache or two… or four at Czech Stop (been there, done that) then you’re doing it wrong.

3. Buc-ee’s

texas

Photo courtesy of imgur.com

Speaking of driving, no Texas road trip is complete without a stop for snacks at this mega convenience store.

#SpoonTip: Buc-ee’s also has the best bathrooms you will find on a long car ride in Texas.

4. Dr. Pepper

texas

Photo courtesy of foodmanufacturing.com

Why this delicious Texas nectar (originally from Waco) isn’t found in every soda fountain across the country, I will never know.

5. State Fair Delicacies

texas

Photo courtesy of attheindianafair.com

Many Texans (special shout out to Dallasites) want to get their ass back to Texas between September 25th and October 18th for the special holiday known as the Texas State Fair. There you will find that literally anything can be deep fried, and everything deep fried is always better. Favorites include: Fletcher’s corny dogs, funnel cakes, fried Oreos, fried beer, fried queso, fried butter, and fried PB&J.

6. Bluebell Ice Cream

texas

Photo courtesy of eatsleepcuddle.com

Sure, this might be a little bit too soon, but I trust Bluebell and no doubt they make some good stuff.

7. Quality Tex-Mex

texas

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

No, Chipotle and Moe’s do not count as Mexican food…so don’t even try to tell me otherwise. We’re talking about enchiladas, brisket tacos, perfect quesadillas, and fajitas. Classics from around the state include: Ninfa’s, El Tiempo, Escalante’s, and Javier’s.

8. Margs

texas

Photo courtesy of instagram.com

Margaritas outside of Texas are pretty much the only things that don’t disappoint because, hello, tequila. However, they’re still definitely better in the Lone Star state. Mambo Taxis (or a Mambo Limousine if you’re fancy af) at Mi Cocina and Taco Diner pack a real punch.

9. Shiner

texas

Photo courtesy of wundermanreports.com

Shiner is brewed in (you guessed it) Shiner, TX and has fun seasonal flavors including but not limited to birthday beer and holiday cheer.

10. Texas Dip

texas

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

No, not the deb ball curtsy. We’re talking all the best queso, Bob dip, guac, and salsa for your tortilla chip, appetite spoiling needs.

11. Barbecue

texas

Photo courtesy of instagram.com

Texas has some of the best barbeque in the country, so Texans sure do miss it when they’re not home. But it’s even harder if you’re north of the Mason-Dixon line. Hometown favorites include: The Salt Lick, Pecan Lodge, and Rudy’s.

12. Bomb Burger Joints

texas

Photo courtesy of Allyson Bigenho

For some reason I swear burgers in Texas are better, and that’s why Texans miss places like Hoppdoddy and Burger House.

13. Chicken Fried Steak

texas

Photo courtesy of cookdiary.net

Steak fried like chicken you say? Count Texans in. And yes, we’ll have gravy with that please and thank you.

14. Pecan Pie

texas

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Pecans trees are everywhere in Texas, so homemade pecan pie comes around more than once a year at Thanksgiving #blessed.

15. Migas

texas

Photo courtesy of Maggie Fersing

Austinites everywhere know that Kerbey Lane has the best migas in the game. Not to mention, many of their locations are 24/7, so that’s a plus.

16. Abundance of Taco Joints

texas

Photo courtesy of Courtney Perkins

It is definitely really tough not having a million options for tacos when you’re craving them. Torchy’s Tacos, Velvet Taco, and Tacodeli are some of the best.

17. Whataburger

texas

Photo courtesy of sacurrent.com

Texans’ drunchy of choice: the honey butter chicken biscuit (affectionately known as the HBCB), is served from 11 pm to 11 am at Whata.