As a Penn State student, I understand the hustle and bustle of everyday college life. Between classes, meetings with professors, club get-togethers, homework and everything in between, it’s hard to find time to have a life, let alone eat! Because of constantly being on the run, many of our meals are pre-packaged snacks or food on the go. Foods such as granola bars, yogurts and other snacks are practically necessities that you can find in almost every college student’s backpack.

yogurt

Photo by Bari Blanga

Light-years away from the home-cooked meals that are usually taken for granted at home, students living on their own at college become accustomed to these new eating habits. Many turn to yogurt, as they can eat this healthy yet filling snack when they are on the go. Which brand is best? I took to the streets to find out. (And by streets, I mean central campus buildings….but they’re basically the same thing).

yogurt

Photo by Bari Blanga

Participants tried a total of six different types of yogurt, but without knowing which was which. The tested brands included Yoplait, Chobani and Dannon, all in both strawberry and strawberry banana flavors. After trying Yoplait, labeled as number one, Chobani, labeled as number two, and Dannon, labeled as number three, participants were asked to write which number they liked the best. After the study, participants were made aware of which number corresponded with which brand, and many were surprised with the results! Will you be? Find out below.

Unanimously, participants chose Yoplait as the preferred brand for the strawberry banana flavor. For the strawberry flavor, 2/3 chose Yoplait as their preferred brand, while 1/3 of the participants chose Dannon as their preferred brand.

yogurt

Photo by Bari Blanga

Kendal Jaffe, a Penn State junior majoring in nursing, who participated in the study, shared her thoughts on the results. She preferred Yoplait for both flavors.

According to Jaffe, “As a Greek yogurt fan, I was surprised by how much I disliked Chobani. I usually prefer Greek yogurt, but I did not like the consistency or flavor of Chobani. The reason I chose Yoplait over the other choices is because I could taste the real fruit in the yogurt. In addition, the texture was smoother than that of yogurts offered by other brands.”

Beatrice Smith, a Penn State junior majoring in PGA golf management, who did not participate in the study, felt confident about the results.

“While Chobani may be a popular brand among students, many people do not like Greek yogurt. Many people prefer Chobani as they believe it is healthier. However, as the results show, this is not the case, at least taste wise,” said Smith.

Like this article? Check out these related posts: