Did you know that it’s possible to eat food and have it look good on your resume? Yeah, me neither – until now. Brace yourselves. Fall is coming, and Spoon Queen’s is hiring. This year, we’re making it rain … poutine and boxed wine.

As if that isn’t enough, here are 7 reasons to join Spoon University Queen’s this semester. Apply for your chance to become a certified foodie and join the largest food network on campus. 

1. Shamelessly taking photos of your food = justified.

Spoon Queen's

Get on a chair, find a step ladder, open the blinds for crying out loud. You’re allowed to take as many photos of your food as you want because you’re part of the coolest food publication on campus. Better yet, at Spoon events, you aren’t the only one taking photos of the food (so you won’t have to worry about us taking a bite before you’re done snapping).

2. Increase your social media presence.

Spoon Queen's

You’ll gain access to exclusive workshops that will teach you how to get more traffic on your own social platforms, build your own personal brand and become a social media influencer – not to mention the incredible amount of worldwide connections you’ll have access to.

To give you an idea, the official Spoon Instagram has over 232K followers, and the Spoon Queen’s account alone has over 1000 followers. Combine that with over 6,500 members on 165 chapters in multiple countries, and maybe you’ll begin to understand.

3. You have more friends to drink cheap wine with on Sunday nights.

Spoon Queen's

Just your day one foodies, getting together a few times a month to pitch article ideas and brainstorm campus events in the company of a box of Gabriel’s pizza and cheap Pinot Grigio (most likely in a box) from the Wine Rack. Not only do we work hard, but we play hard too.

4. Free. Food.

Spoon Queen's

Yes, friends – I just put “free” and “food” in the same sentence. If that isn’t reason enough, I don’t know what is.

5. Access to cooking hacks you never thought of.

Spoon Queen's

Have you ever thought of putting crushed Oreos in a salt shaker? Well, now you can garnish your ice cream with some magical Oreo dust. You’re welcome.

6. You can eat and have it look good on your resume. #winning

Spoon Queen's

Take advantage of this opportunity to show future employers that you’re involved on campus and you pursue the things you’re passionate about (like food).

7. So much learning, so little time.

Spoon Queen's

Think about it. Your time here is short and if you don’t explore the opportunities outside of your formal education, your degree won’t carry much value. Don’t get me wrong, school is absolutely important – but what you do outside of the classroom is what counts the most. With Spoon, you’ll learn the hard skills that will differentiate you from other candidates in a future job interview.  You’ll gain useful skills in Photoshop, writing, communications and PR, public speaking, and simply how to be a better people person.

I joined Spoon in my third year of university and since then I’ve written articles, learned about the online publication industry, traveled to NYC and connected with other Spoon members around the world (hats off to you, Brain Food) and I even started my own food and travel blog.

Spoon Queen's

Photo by Spoon University Queen’s

Close that Netflix tab for two minutes and take the time to apply to something that’ll change your life (and taste buds) for the better.

To apply, visit queensu.spoonuniversity.com and click “Join?” You can also reach out to the Spoon Queen’s leadership team by emailing spoon@clubs.queensu.ca.

Visit our Facebook Page to stay in the loop during the application period, and make sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram.