With Guy Fieri in our hearts and dreams of outrageous eats in our minds, we set out to find the most excellent diners, drive-ins, and dives in the Winston-Salem area. Like many of the best of the best across the country, some of these were near-impossible to locate.

In the corners of grocery stores and tucked inside gas stations, Winston-Salem’s finest flavors await. Here are three that you can’t miss:

1. Taco Riendo 3

Winston-Salem

Photo by Charlotte Said

Guy Fieri spends many an episode going to town on a variety of tacos, so a trip to Winston-Salem’s best Mexican joint was in order. Taco Riendo 3 is a locally-owned Mexican fast food taqueria located proudly in a questionable-looking gas station. But don’t let the exterior fool you.

Everything here from the carnitas to the chicken torta is authentic and homemade, so you can expect the real deal. And don’t foget to wash it all down with a Jarrito’s soda.

Must try: chorizo tacos

2. Thai Sawatdee

Winston-Salem

Photo by Charlotte Said

If you’re craving the eclectic tastes of Southeast Asia, look no further than the Harris Teeter on Cloverdale Avenue. Located in the produce section (take a left at the corn) is the best damn Thai food you can get in North Carolina. This local chain has three locations, but you just cannot beat the ambiance of a grocery store.

First grab a perfectly-chilled Thai iced tea thick with sweet condensed milk, then sit back and enjoy your options. Order some pad Thai, rare steak pho, or chicken satay. A small crew of tiny grandmas will whip up some of the best flavors you’ll ever try on this side of the Pacific.

Must try: chicken pad Thai and Thai iced tea

3. Duke’s Restaurant

Winston-Salem

Photo by Charlotte Said

Duke’s has all the southern comfort food you could possibly want within the authentic, old-school diner setting that we all love. This quirky establishment is famous for their friendly wait staff and classic menu.

In terms of breakfast food, their fluffy pancakes are nothing short of majestic. Otherwise, the mac and cheese is so gooey and cheesy it’s almost too much. At any time of day it’s packed with locals, so you know it’s the real deal.

Must try: cinnamon roll and mac and cheese

Want more restaurants in Winston?