One summer day, I decided to try grilling different foods. I was curious to see what was grill-worthy and what was not, but most importantly, I was curious to find out how they would taste.

When I thought about this concept, I immediately thought about some of my favorite grilled fruits like pineapple and peaches.

Both are awesome summer treats, tossed into salads or topped with ice cream. Then I thought, what other delicious foods could I grill? I set aside banana, apples, mangoes, cantaloupe, radishes, cucumbers, and even pb&j sandwiches. It was grill time.

Victoria Vricella

Cucumber

Did it grill? Nope. The cucumber didn’t develop any char marks, and fell through the grates. 

How did it taste? Like a warm cucumber. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it.  

Radish

Did it grill? Yes, better than the cucumber. I think next time I will cut the radishes thinner so they crisp up and develop a better char. 

How did it taste? Good. If they were cut thinner with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, these radishes would be a great addition to salads and grain bowls. 

Victoria Vricella

Apple

Did it grill? Yes and no. While the apple did become more tender, it did not develop any char marks. 

How did it taste? Like a cooked apple. Nothing special. 

Banana 

Victoria Vricella

Did it grill? Yes. The banana stuck to the grates, but it did char nicely. Next time, I would grill in foil to avoid stick, or I’d use an indoor grill pan. 

How did it taste? Delicious. The bananas carmelized from the heat, making them super sweet and tender. Try it with some vanilla ice cream, and a drizzle of peanut butter, chocolate, caramel, or all of the above. The possibilities are endless. 

Mango

Victoria Vricella

Did it grill? Yes. It charred beautifully, but did stick to the grates a little. 

How did it taste? So-so. It was too sweet and tasted weird warm. 

Cantaloupe

Victoria Vricella

Did it grill? Yes. Perfect char marks and minimal sticking. 

How did it taste? It was tasty. Kind of like roasted squash, just more cantaloupe-y, making it taste a little sweeter. This could be great tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette. 

PB&J

Victoria Vricella

Did it grill? Yes. The bread toasted perfectly. The peanut butter was melty. It was perfect. A little messy, but perfect. 

How did it taste? Like a warm, toasted pb&j. For less mess, grill open-faced. This could also be delicious as a peanut butter banana sandwich drizzled with honey. 

The Verdict

Grilling is something that’s really fun and is simple to learn. You can purchase a mini indoor grill, which works just as well and makes for easy clean up. 

So if one day you want to venture out and experiment a new way to cook your favorite food, don’t be afraid. Just ask yourself, will it grill?