My mother used to make breaded cauliflower for me and my siblings growing up. I loved the breadcrumbs she used, so I would only eat the parts that were covered in them.

One time, my mother saw me leave some cauliflower scraps on my plate and asked why I left them. I responded that I only like cauliflower when covered with breadcrumbs!

“But breadcrumbs aren’t the healthy part. It is the cauliflower that is healthy,” she laughed.

Ultimately, if you cover nutritious foods with unhealthy foods, you are missing the point.  This is why cauliflower rice has gained tremendous popularity in recent years, as it is both nutritious and delicious.

Why Eat Cauliflower?

cauliflower, sweet
Kristine Mahan

Cauliflower is filled with nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. A nutrient is a substance that is necessary for growth, maintenance, and survival. Some are needed on a daily basis, and cauliflower helps serve those needs.

Cauliflower is also filled with antioxidants! An antioxidant is a substance that removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in a living organism, which can help prevent cancer, skin aging, and artery hardening.

So if the the science is suggesting that we eat this food, why don’t we just dive into how to do it?

How to buy it?

cauliflower, cabbage, cake
Hana Brannigan

You can buy a fresh or frozen head of cauliflower for $2 to $4 from your local superstore and chop it very finely. You can also buy pre-packaged cauliflower rice, which is just chopped cauliflower, for around the same price.

How to cook and serve it?

Vegan, Healthy, fresh produce, produce, vegetable, metal bowl, florets, cauliflower florets, cauliflower

I prefer to heat a frying pan with olive oil on medium heat, throw in the cauliflower rice, and let it cook until soft with occasional stirring.

Cauliflower rice is an easy add-on to any meal. You can make it into a cold salad or a hot side dish.

My Favorite: Cauliflower Rice Bowls

It’s all about the layers. Start with some sautéed kale or spinach for the bottom layer. Top it with your cooked cauliflower rice, and top that with a cooked vegetable like mushrooms, butternut squash, eggplant, or chickpeas. Lastly, drizzle on your favorite sauce. This includes tahini, garlic mayo, pesto, or anything else your heart desires.