When shopping for vegetables, many people skip the canned veggies and go for frozen because it's believed it to be the healthier option. But is that true? After some research, I found out the facts behind canned veggies, and which version you should actually be buying.  

Sodium Content

flour, salt
Joyce Yao

A common fear with canned vegetables is that it's high in sodium. However, this problem is incredibly easy to avoid. When choosing a canned vegetable, look at the sodium content on the nutrition label. Opt for the canned option with the lowest sodium count. Keep in mind that the average adult should be consuming no more than 2300 mg of sodium per day.

Vitamin Content

cayenne, sweet pepper, chili, vegetable, pepper
Torey Walsh

Canned foods are handled and packaged very quickly, and so the majority of vitamins and minerals in the vegetables are not lost. It is possible that a small amount of Vitamin C may be lost in the process, but overall not a significant amount.

Food Safety

legume, pepper, vegetable
Betsy Chilcoat

In terms of food safety, canned vegetables are your best option. Canned foods are heated prior to packaging, which kills any contaminants that may be lurking.

Additionally, if you're worried about preservatives, many canned foods don't have any at all. You can tell whether or not they do simply by reading the label on the can. 

Bottom Line

If you're looking for vegetables that will last a long time, I recommend canned vegetables over frozen. Not only are they usually the same in terms of sodium and vitamin content, but they're also incredibly safe—you won't need to worry about any possible contaminants. 

The next time you're at the grocery store, try opting for canned instead of frozen vegetables and see if you can notice any difference.