Got cramps? We sure hope not! But before you go raiding your medicine cabinet for your go-to pain reliever, did you know that the remedy for achy muscles can be found in some seriously tasty solutions? Potassium is a mineral that helps muscles contract, helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in and out of body cells, and helps maintaining normal blood pressure by blunting the effect of sodium. For these reasons, potassium can help relieve your cramps as easy as any over-the-counter pill you might rely on to do the trick. Let's explore the best ways to get a little extra element K in our diets and why taking in more potassium should definitely be your 2018 food goal!

Great Sources of Potassium

We all know bananas are typically the "go-to" for our potassium needs, but they're certainly not the only option. You can get your fix of element K from yummy foods like squash, yogurt, white beans, spinach, avocados, sweet potato, and salmon!

salmon, sushi, sashimi, rice, smoked salmon, seafood, fish
Elizabeth Olson

Symptoms of a Potassium-Deficiency

Because potassium isn't created naturally by our bodies, it's imperative that we get it from the foods we eat. That being said, if we're low on potassium, we can definitely feel it's effects and here are some tell-tale signs of a deficiency: cramps, irregular heartbeat, extreme fatigue, and digestive problems.

How Much Potassium should I be Consuming a Day?

Because every body is different, you should most definitely confirm with your personal doctor, but the recommended amount of potassium per day is: children 1 to 3 years of age is 3,000 mg/day, 4 to 8 years of age is 3,800 mg/day, and 9 to 13 years of age is 4,500 mg/day.

avocado, vegetable, sweet, guacamole
Jessica Kelly

All in all, it's important we get the right balance of vitamins and nutrients in our lives to stay feelin' good. Particularly for cramps, though, getting the right amount of potassium in our everyday diet is essential!