A few weeks ago, one of my fellow Spoon writers got me thinking about LaCroix. She loves the bubbly drink and even did an article on how many she could gulp down in one day before becoming sick to her stomach. In turn, I decided to get down to the nitty gritty truth and learn the answer to the question that's been at the back of our minds for months: Is LaCroix a healthy drink option? 

water, fish
Spoon University

I've always loved soda, and my grandfather is diabetic, so LaCroix was always an inevitable option when I was growing up. Somewhere along the lines I lost touch with my LaCroix lovin' self and hadn't touched the drink in awhile before this month. When I finally cracked open a can, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's still just as delicious even though it's not particularly sweet.

It has become increasingly popular in recent years, and I have grown more and more curious about it. It feels so light and refreshing compared to other sodas, so I decided to do some investigating.

After some research (aka Google searches,) I've come to the conclusion that these sudsy drinks aren't as good for you as you may think, but it's still a much better option than most soft drinks. 

The Good

tea, beer
Lindsay Paulen

For one, LaCroix doesn't have any sugar or artificial sweeteners in it, so in that regard, it does beat most sodas when it comes to sugar content. LaCroix is also vegan, made with "natural flavors" and gmo-free. In these aspects, it is a safer option than most soft drinks. Not to mention, it beats most flavored waters due to its lack of sugar. 

It's easy to see why the drink has attracted so many millennials who are not only looking for something that is cheap but also for something that doesn't contain any sugar.

The Bad?

coffee, ice, alcohol, tea, beer
Mackenzie Patel

Like most great things in life, this beautiful bubbly drink does have it drawbacks. For one, LaCroix and other sparkling drinks do erode your teeth and have been proven to cause decay. 

While this might not seem like a big deal, the acidity could prematurely wear down your teeth over time.

However, after going through my "research" and learning about LaCroix's health benefits and risks, I've still decided to continue drinking it. If you love this bubbly drink as much as I do, you shouldn't let it stop you either! 

The Solution?

dropping ice, water splash, water cup, cup of water, splash, water, ice

I'll be the first to tell you that I am wholeheartedly in love with LaCroix, which is why it pained me to write parts of this article. The important thing to remember here is that sugar-free carbonated water (like LaCroix) is much healthier for you to consume than soda. 

The only danger that comes from drinking LaCroix is if you drink it in substitution for regular hydration. While I initially did this in an effort to avoid water, I now have tea most of the time and keep the LaCroix to just once a day.

At the end of the day, it's all about having balance, especially when it comes to your well-being. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to keep those teeth pearly white and healthy while also enjoying an occasional LaCroix.