"I'm quitting cold turkey!" Well, it is obvious whatever they are doing, they will no longer be doing it, because they are quitting. But, why is it called cold turkey? Was there once a turkey involved while quitting something, and was he cold? Or is it just an expression for the ages?

There are a couple explanations as to where and why this expression came about. And no, there were not any actual turkeys involved. 

The History

cake, chocolate, candy, sweet
Tess Citron

According to Merriam-Webster, the expression first appeared in the early 1900s, one being from British Columbia in 1921, where the Daily Colonist published a piece that used the phrase "When they go before him, that are given what is called the 'cold turkey' treatment."

However, what does it mean? The, "original cold turkey was a combination of cold ("straightforward, matter-of-fact") and the earlier talk turkey, which...refers to speaking plainly." Although, why a turkey? We don't know. There have been some educated guesses as to why this term was used, but no one really knows.

The phrase has taken a different meaning, in that it predominately refers to the drug withdrawal process. NAABT states, usually when someone is going through a withdrawal, they become cold, causing small bumps to appear on their skin, and "it was noticed their skin looked like a cold turkey."  

Unsure as to why turkey was the chosen animal to use in this phrase, it's definitely caught on. Turkeys around the world applaud with the seemingly positive recognition. Now go forth with this "the more you know" information.

#SpoonTip: If you or a loved one is struggling with an addiction, you can call the National Helpline SAMHSA on 1-800-662-HELP (4357).