Since 2001, David Freedenberg, also know as Fat Dave, has been cruising around New York City in his vintage white Checker cab conducting some of the most epic food tours you probably can’t even imagine. Since graduating from NYU, Dave has had various jobs such as a bread trucker driver, a pickle man, and even a cheesemonger at Murray’s Cheese Shop, all in New York City.

Eventually, he landed on the decision to become a taxi driver. According to Dave, being a taxi driver in New York City is number two on the list of most dangerous jobs in America (after being a deep sea fisherman), but any fear he may have had was completely overshadowed by his love for food.

tours

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Dave values food tips way over the typical monetary ones. To spark a conversation, he inquires every NYC local about some of their favorite spots to eat in their various neighborhoods. This is how he compiles all of the best, locally loved restaurants within each borough to take his tour guests on.

Throughout all of his experiences, Dave has compiled copious amounts of knowledge about New York City’s history and its food that is completely incomparable to any basic guide or pamphlet you will come across. Since he’s a full time foodie, Dave has befriended owners of the restaurants he frequently visits, so you know you’ll always get the hook up when traveling with him.

tours

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Dave offers a range of different tour options to choose from: The Pizza Tour, The Pickle Tickle Tour, The Disappearing New York Tour, The Boot of the Bronx Tour, or Famous Fat Dave’s Faves. Patrons can even customize the tour to their dietary preferences, such as vegan or kosher.

The typical tour lasts about two and a half hours with approximately two stops per hour. However, there is also a four-hour tour available. Dave has even given an 11 ½ hour tour to a group where he stopped at 27 different places, which he says he won’t ever do again. This is because his goal isn’t to make people sick, just fat and happy.

tours

Photo courtesy of makemudpies.blogspot.com

Be sure to check out Fat Dave’s website for information on all of his private tour packages and prices. His eating tours are Monday through Friday, 11 am to 6:30 pm. If this is the first time you’re hearing about Fat Dave’s Five Borough Eating Tours, you’ll be amazed at how many shining reviews he’s received from news outlets and people across the world.

Another way to get a taste of these epic tours is to watch videos on YouTube of actual tours he has given. Unfortunately, if you take that route, you’ll be missing out on the best part of the tour: eating. So, definitely mark down a tour with Fat Dave on your bucket list. You’ll see New York City in an entirely new light.