I first stumbled across nitrogen infusion at a brunch spot near my hometown in Connecticut. Their menu featured nitro-brewed iced tea; I figured it was worth trying! At first, the taste took me by surprise. I was expecting carbonation (like in a soda or a seltzer), but the flavor of the iced tea was just much creamier. I've become obsessed with all things nitro-brewed ever since!

As a coffee enthusiast, I'm always down to try new flavors and varieties. My go-to has recently been iced Americanos (espresso with cold water), but as the summer starts rolling around, I need to get more creative with my coffee adventures. Nitro cold brew is the perfect coffee to fill that niche! Here's some of the science behind nitro cold brewing, as well as why it's a great option for all coffee lovers to try! 

How does nitro cold brew work? 

Nitro-brewing infuses coffee with nitrogen and pumps it through a pressurized valve. This gives it a very smooth and creamy taste that even black-coffee-diehards (like myself) enjoy. Unlike regular iced coffee, cold brew, which is made by combining water and coffee grounds and letting the concoction sit for up to 24 hours, also draws out the acidity of the coffee. This makes it a good option for anyone with acid reflux. Steeping the cold brew for several days rather than using a drip also extends its flavor life over a longer period of time. 

How should you serve nitro cold brew coffee? 

Ideally, cold and from a glass is the best way to serve nitro cold brew (think of Guinness beer, which is produced with a similar process). Nitro cold brew isn't designed to be drank through a straw either, so pull out a cold glass and get your pour on! 

Do you need to add cream and sugar? Well, the nitrogen infusion process leaves a natural sweetness: no sugar needed here! Nitro cold brew is also very frothy, so I doubt you'll need to add any additional cream. 

Where can you get nitro cold brew coffee? 

Nitro cold brewing has surged in popularity in recent years, so many coffee shops now carry a keg of it. You should expect to pay slightly more for a cup than a traditional cold brew- but I can tell you that the flavor is well-worth the price. 

If you want the delicious frothiness of a nitro cold brew at home, you should try RISE's Nitro Cold Brew Coffee. It comes in four flavors: original black, oat milk latte, oat milk mocha, and classic latte. Each 7oz can contains one and a half times as much caffeine as a cup of drip coffee (180mg). The taste is flavorful, bright, and easy on the palate. Their oat milk infused flavors are also vegan! 

The other option, of course, would be to purchase your own nitrogen infusion system. They retail for a couple hundred dollars on Amazon, so you might be better off buying the occasional cup or can.

Not the coffee drinker? 

Nitrogen makes everything better! Pepsi has introduced a prototype for nitrogen-infused sodas while many restaurants are trying new types of nitro teas and lemonades. It's the perfect summer buzz- all without the alcohol! 

You can order RISE Co. coffee on their website using the code WFH-SPOONUNIVERSITY for 35% off your order & free shipping. For every purchase, RISE Co. will donate cans to healthcare workers on the frontlines battling COVID-19.