The Australia and New Zealand University Mental Health and Wellbeing Day is a day to educate students on mental health, open up conversations about it, and provide students with resources and activities that promote tiptop mental health. Sadly, a lot of students don't know it exists, or don't think the day is a big deal. But luckily for you, I'm here to tell you what it's all about and why every student should get around it.

Why does it really matter, anyway? 

Let's look at the facts, shall we? 1 in 4 Australians aged 16-24 (that's you!) are currently living with a mental health condition—and 8 in 10 students have reported experiencing mental health issues*. Plus, studies show that the biggest things that young Australians are worried about are stress and school/study problems. The most common killer of young Australians is suicide. 

Those stats are super sad. That's why it's so important that universities across Australia and New Zealand are choosing to help fight those statistics by celebrating University Mental Health and Wellbeing Day on May 2nd. 

So what actually happens on May 2nd?

What doesn't happen on May 2nd? Every participating uni is different, but UniMelb has a ton of cool stuff going on. The day will kick off with free breakfast at the Parkville campus. The rest of the day is chock full of other awesome activities in Parkville and Southbank: silent discos, therapy dogs, bubble soccer, swimming, a jumping castle, yoga, meditation, and heaps more (but honestly, they had me at therapy dogs). Everything offered throughout the day promotes physical and mental health and wellness. Check out the website for the full list of activities!

*If you're struggling with mental health issues or suicidal thoughts, here are some help hotlines open 24/7:

Lifeline Australia: 13 11 14

Youth Beyond Blue: 1300 22 4636

MensLine Australia: 1300 78 99 78

1800RESPECT: 1800 737 732