The fast food arms race is intense, and the battle over breakfast has been a focal point in the last few years. Consumers buzzed about all-day breakfast at McDonald's, and Taco Bell's foray into the game was heavily publicized. But White Castle has been low key serving the best breakfast for years. In 2015, White Castle outclassed McDonald's when they announced their Anything, Anytime menu. Anything on their menu is available anytime they're open. White Castle breakfast is simply heavenly. All of their eggs are freshly cracked, lightly scrambled, and everything is made-to-order.

I used to work with my Dad every summer when I was young, and we had breakfast at White Castle once a week. Even so, it had been awhile since I ate White Castle breakfast, so I decided to change that. A friend and I went to White Castle recently to enjoy a smorgasbord of their breakfast items. 

The Breakfast Waffle Slider

First, I tried one of the items that I wasn't familiar with, the Breakfast Waffle Slider. Egg, melted American cheese, and sausage were sandwiched between two fluffy Belgian waffles. The waffle carries a sweet hint of maple syrup, which perfectly complements the salty sausage patty. You can order it with bacon or jalapeño cheese instead, and they also make a Sausage and Gravy Waffle slider. 

Original Slider with Egg and Cheese

Next, I tried the Original Slider with Egg and Cheese for the first time. Words can't express how upset I am that this didn't grace my life sooner. The original slider, minus the pickles, gets topped with egg and cheese. The caramelized onions are the real MVP here because they add a buttery flavor with a slightly sweet finish. If you only eat one thing at White Castle, make it the Original Slider with Egg and Cheese.

The Toast Sandwich

This is the sandwich that started it all for me. The toast sandwich comes with American cheese, egg and your choice of bacon or sausage. Everything about this sandwich works. It's homey, it's simple, and it's absolutely delicious. I like the two sandwich combo. That way, I can get one with bacon and one with sausage. The combo also comes with a side of Hash Round Nibblers a cup of coffee to get my motor running.

Hash Round Nibblers

Every meal needs a side dish, and White Castle's Hash Round Nibblers fit the bill. These bite-size potatoes are hot, crunchy, salty and downright addicting. I love them with ketchup or even plain because they're that good. I could eat a bucket of these, but since I lack basic willpower, I always order a small size. 

The Verdict

I wasn't able to eat anymore after all of that, because I was completely stuffed. However, the White Castle breakfast menu has so much more to offer. They serve breakfast sliders with egg, cheese and either bacon or sausage. Their soft, steamed slider buns are the perfect vehicle for any breakfast sandwich. For those of you with a sweet-tooth, you can also order their Belgian waffles with syrup.

Don't just take my word for it. Get to White Castle as soon as possible, and go try the best fast food breakfast on the planet.