When it comes to selecting meal plans at the University of Florida, the whole process can be a bit daunting. At first glance, words like "Flex Bucks" or "Meal Exchange" are somewhat foreign, not to mention the price tag can be a bit intimidating as well. 

Olivia Stultz

After analyzing all of the plans, it can be seen there's really one for every type of person. Some of the amazing benefits of a UF meal plan include saving money in the long run, using precious time wisely, and making life so much more convenient. Therefore, many UF students choose to opt-in one. So, with plenty of plans to choose from, which one is best for you?

(Just a run down, an open-access meal plan consists of three components: unlimited access to dining halls, three meals at select restaurants, and Flex Bucks you can spend anywhere else. Meals per week and block plans consist of just two: a select amount of times you get to go to participating restaurants and Flex Bucks.)

If you're on campus a lot, and you LOVE Starbucks and/or Chick-fil-a…

Then the one for you is the 7 Day Open-Access Plus. You get to eat at the dining halls as much as you want and participate in meal exchanges, but you get twice as much Flex Bucks ($475 to be exact). So that’s more money you could be spending on Venti Iced Coffees to Fried Chicken Sandwiches. 

This plan is $2,235 per semester and averages $3.70 per meal. 

If you're on campus a lot, and you are a picky or moderate eater…

Then the meal plan for you would be the 7 Day Open-Access. You get unlimited access to dining halls, participation in meal exchanges, and $225 dollars in Flex Bucks. If you are picky about what you eat, you have fifteen restaurants to choose from as meals and the ability to graze at the dining halls. If you are not, then you still have those options available to you with the relief that you can eat on your own schedule.

This plan is $1,985 per semester and averages $3.70 per meal. 

If you're on campus a lot, but plan to leave on the weekends frequently...

If this is the case, the meal plan for you is the 5 Day Open-Access. You still get the awesome benefits of a 7 Day plan, just Monday through Friday. You also get even more Flex Bucks to spend on weekends you may be in Gainesville ($375).

This plan is $1,985 per semester and averages $4.74 per meal. 

If you're on campus a lot, but know for sure you are going to only eat two meals per day…

This also happens to be the least expensive residential plan, but the plan for you would be the 14 Meals Per Week. As the name suggests, you get two set meals per day with an additional $325 Flex Bucks as a supplement. So, it’s a good plan to have if you want something to cover maybe lunch and dinner but would rather purchase your own snacks and drinks.

This plan is $1,935 per semester and averages $6.76 per meal. 

If you're a commuter student, and you LOVE cooking…

Just released this year, the meal plan for you is the 30 Block + $120 To Home Chef Meal Kits. You get 30 meals per semester and $120 to spend on Home Chef meal kits- which averages out as 12 meals. There is also $180 in Flex Bucks added in the mix.

This plan is $525 per semester. 

If you're a commuter student, and you plan on having long days on campus…

Many of us commuter students have been there, you are stuck on campus from an early morning class to a late night meeting, and going back home is not an option. Then the plan for you is the 65 Block- that’s 65 meals per semester with $25 in Flex Bucks. You can still cook at home, but have peace of mind on those long days you still have somewhere to eat.

This plan is $480 per semester and averages $7.00 per meal. 

If you're a commuter student, like to cook but need a little supplement for days you can’t…

If this is the case, I would suggest getting the 25 Block plan. It’s the cheapest commuter plan and includes 25 meals per semester and $50 in Flex Bucks.

This plan is $250 per semester and averages $8.07 per meal. 

So, what about Declining Balance?

Declining Balance acts sorta like a gift card, allowing you to add money to your Gator ID card and spending dollar-for-dollar at dining locations. Because you are paying face value for food, it’s good as a supplement for low Flex Bucks or on days a Sorority meal plan doesn’t cover. However, it does add up over time so I would personally not recommend it for people looking to eat on campus as their main way of obtaining food.

Say you eat at the dining hall two times a day, based on the median meal prices, you are spending $2020.62 plus tax ($8.49 x two times a day x 119 food days) for food per semester with Declining Balance. Based on the same calculations with three times a day, now that’s $3030.93 plus tax per semester. This doesn’t even include snacks or drinks either. However, a 7 Day Open Access plan is a $1,985 flat rate, and best of all, you can eat as much as you want whenever you want.

Conclusion

At first glance, the whole meal plan process can be super confusing, especially with seven to choose from and each containing different requirements. Even the prices can be a bit daunting as it’s hard to imagine what you will be spending your money on in the future. However, the large number of options allows there to be something for everyone and plenty more restaurants to choose from than just the dining halls. And not to mention, future-you saving money while enjoying a smoothie from Jamba Juice or freshly made burrito from Moes would be happy you got it.

For more specifics regarding meal plans and how to purchase it, check out the Gator Dining website