Shopping for milk isn't as simple as it used to be. Instead of deciding whether or not to buy a gallon, it's become a decision of what type. Recently, milk alternatives have been growing in popularity with nut milk, coconut milk, and other dairy or soy free options filling the shelves. With differences in type, taste and flavor, making a decision can be tough. Whether it is a personal preference, a health reason or you're simply curious, here's you guide to milk alternatives. 

Soy Milk

Allie Hicks

Soy milk is one of the most common milk alternatives because it was one of the first to be mainstreamed. This plant-based milk can easily be found in coffee shops and grocery stores. Of all the alternatives, soy is actually the least processed while keeping high protein levels (nearly 11 grams!). Flavor wise, soy milk is rather thick and creamy, making it a favorite in dairy-free coffee

Coconut Milk 

Allie Hicks

Coconut milk is one of the sweeter and creamier options on the list. It has a unique taste, with subtle sweetness from the coconut undertones. What coconut milk lacks in protein, it makes up for in taste. However, it's easy to add this beverage to a protein-packed smoothie if this is your milk of choice. Just be warned, because of it's unique flavor coconut milk doesn't mix well with just any food, but it does make for a delicious macchiato.   

Almond Milk 

Allie Hicks

Almond milk is a personal favorite, and one of the most popular nut-based milks. Because it's made from almonds, it contains a high amount of calcium and Vitamin E without the calories of cow's milk. An added bonus, it comes in a variety of flavors ranging from unsweetened to dark chocolate. Obviously flavor is going to impact the nutritional value, but don't let that stop you grabbing carton. The downside to almond milk? It doesn't always steam well, and can leave your coffee tasting a little burnt.  

Cashew Milk

Allie Hicks

While less common, cashew milk has subtle, nutty flavors. Chocolate cashew milk has a thick texture and sweet taste that pairs well with breakfast bowls or an iced latte. Cashew milk is a low calorie option, but be warned it's also low on proteins, fibers, and minerals. Some vitamins and minerals may be added, or you can pair it with some protein-rich foods. Feeling ambitious? Try your hand at making cashew milk.  

Oat Milk 

Allie Hicks

Oat milk is probably the newest milk alternative, or at least the most recent one to trend. This grain-made milk has grown in popularity with the Swedish-brand Oatly. To put it simply, it's steel cut oats that are soaked in water and strained. While it may sound unappealing, it's surprisingly tasty - just a little grainy, and thicker than most options. It's dairy, soy, and gluten free, as well as vegan. Oat milk also makes for a great addition to any coffee - it steams well, tastes great, and makes beautiful latte art.

Allie Hicks

Now you have the low-down on what's in the dairy aisle. Other milk alternatives you may find include hazelnut, macadamia, hemp, rice, and flax - the options are seemingly endless. Making the right choice might seem overwhelming, especially with so many options. Each type has it's pros and cons, but ultimately the choice is yours. Maybe next time you hit up the dairy section, you'll be inspired to try something new.