The cocktails that we are accustomed to today do not begin to compare to the those of the prohibition age. These classic cocktails are alcohol based and have little to no non-alcoholic mixers. These cocktails not only pack a punch but come each drink comes with its own unique personality that can easily be placed in a Hogwarts house... no sorting hat necessary. 

Hufflepuff: The Mary Pickford 

cocktail
Marie Chantal Marauta

Like the Hufflepuffs the Mary Pickford is sweet and subtle. The drink is even named for a silent movie actress commonly known as "America's Sweetheart." In the true loyal nature of a Hufflepuff, this cocktail was created at the urging of Mary's faithful and loving husband, Douglas. The drink was concocted in Cuba and was meant to be just as sweet as its namesake.

The Thrillist list the recipe as consisting: White rum, pineapple juice, maraschino liqueur, and grenadine.

Ravenclaw: The Aviation

coffee, cocktail, ice, martini
Keris Heading

The Aviation was first published in a recipe book in the 1930s, and even then was considered a unique drink. It was said to be a "bartenders handshake" a drink that would only be ordered by someone "in the know" like a knowledgeable Ravenclaw. The aviation even has a subtle purple-blue hue to it as another nod toward the house of knowledge.

PUNCH lists the recipe as gin, lemon juice, maraschino liqueur and on occasion a touch of crème de violette, which is responsible for the unique color of the drink. The Aviation became popular again in the 1990s and is still a staple in cocktail bars today.

Gryffindor: The Old Fashioned

alcohol, ice, liquor, whisky, wine, cocktail, beer
Cecilia Leng

The Old Fashioned has been around since the 1930s and took its cue from the already created whiskey-based cocktails with one exception. The cocktail was meant to be a no-frills drink fit for a dignified person with a sense of justice. A cocktail perfect for any Gryffindor.

The drink is straight up without any gimmicks (or mixers) a cocktail that will make anyone look sophisticated and trustworthy. Liquor.com lists the simple recipe as sugar, Angostura bitters, water, bourbon/whiskey. The drink is also commonly served with a large ice cube in the drink for looks and to prevent the drink from being watered down. 

Slytherin: The Sazerac

tea, ice, cocktail, alcohol, liquor, lemon, whisky
Nicole Korolevich

The Sazerac is similar to the Gryffindor's Old Fashion, but with a sneaky twist. The two cocktails have long been compared much like the houses of Slytherin and Gryffindor. The Sazerac is said to be "America's first cocktail" dating back to the 1840s. The story told by the Thrillist, and many more is that a drugstore owner concocted a devilish bitters recipe to add to toddies he served to his patrons, and thus the Sazerac was born. The hidden twist in the drink is the Absinthe.

Absinthe is an anise-like liqueur that is highly alcoholic and was banned in 1912. Sazerac and Slytherins can rejoice as Absinthe is back on specialty liquor stores today. The traditional Sazerac recipe is a sugar cube, water, ounces rye whiskey, Peychaud's Bitters, Angostura bitters, absinthe and a lemon peel often lit with a match to bring out the flavor.

For more Hogwarts fun, see what house you're in based on your food choices!