Spring break scatters students across the globe, some in search of sun and sand, and others in pursuit of delicious food. I was certainly in pursuit of delicious food and San Francisco is a great city for eating.

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

According to the Washington Post, San Francisco is the second best city for food in the United States (Portland is number one, in case you were wondering). The combination of fresh ingredients, innovation and cultural diversity has created a center for delicious dishes. Check out some great spots to grab a bite to eat in different neighborhoods around the city.

The Haight

Sparrow Bar and Kitchen

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

The brunch menu has a mixture of sweet and savory dishes, as well as salad. The Huevos Rancheros were definitely a favorite.

Nopalito

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

Nopalito’s twist on Mexican displays their commitment to organic, sustainable food. Everything on the menu looked delicious, especially the Tacos Dorados de Camote and the Tacos de Pescado al Pastor.

The Financial District

Sushirrito

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

Sushirrito is the original marriage between the sushi roll and the burrito. The carry-out restaurant often has a line out the door, but the wait is definitely worth it.

North Beach

Tony’s Pizza Napoletana

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

Tony Gemignani’s pizzas have won the World Pizza Championships 11 times. The Napoli inspired cuisine is authentic and delicious. The Margherita pizza is a World Cup Pizza winner, in Naples, Italy. Any pizza that wins awards in Italy is a must eat.

Tenderloin

Brenda’s French Soul Food

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

Beignet, done that. This spot boasts a beignet flight that is great for all meals; plain, Ghirardelli chocolate, apple and crawfish. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; you can get it at Brenda’s until 3 pm.

The Mission

Dandelion Chocolate

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

This chocolate factory makes artisanal chocolate every day. Get your chocolate fix through a variety of delectable desserts, from hot chocolate, to chocolate bars, to brownies, to a chocolate spritzer.

Mission Cheese

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

Mission Cheese is a celebration of American cheese, complete with cheese puns on the wall such as “Y’all gon’ make me lose my rind, up in here, up in here” and “Let it brie.” When in California, eat California cheese. The cheese flights are updated daily; the California flight had Skyhill Chevre, Baserri and Schloss.

¡Venga! Empanadas

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

For a healthier version of empanadas, try this restaurant. The empanadas are baked instead of fried and are filled with awesome ingredients. The Manchego Five Pepper empanada was a melted mixture of goodness.

The Ferry Building

San Francisco Fish Company

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

For oysters, check out the San Francisco Fish Company. The fresh oysters are sustainably harvested. If oysters aren’t your thing, there are other great seafood options, like Po’ Boys or breakfast burritos.

Boccalone

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

Meat lovers will love Boccalone, Tasty Salted Pig Parts. To try it all, get a meat cone, or pick from an assortment of salami and sausage.

El Porteño

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

These Argentine empanadas combine locally sourced ingredients with traditional preparation to create a delicious snack. The buttery, flaky outside with a hot and savory inside are heavenly.

Cowgirl Creamery

san francisco

Photo by Malin Ehrsam

The Cowgirl Creamery Sidekick Cafe offers so many delicious cheese creations. The Cheese Toasties are an open-faced cheese sandwich with Cabot Clothbound Cheddar, caramelized onions and a maple dijon mustard tastes like French Onion Soup on toast.

San Francisco is a city famous for the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and Cable Cars, but is equally renowned for its amazing food. It would take a lifetime to try all of the food San Francisco has to offer, so if you are only visiting for a few days be sure to try as much as you can; in this city you can’t go wrong.