Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food and a college favorite. It is personally my favorite food of all time, so I took on the task of trying as many mac and cheese dishes in Winston-Salem as I could. Here is the final list I created of the official best mac and cheese in Winston-Salem. 

1. Mozelle's 

It's fitting that this local favorite has some of the best mac and cheese in Winston-Salem. Everyone from the elderly clientele to the college kids to the children ordering off the kids menu can indulge in this southern staple. As a result, Mozelle's is a neighborhood favorite, and so is its mac and cheese. Although it can be ordered as a side dish or as part of special dishes, Mozelle's serves it alongside their famous fried chicken for the ultimate combination. Do not leave the restaurant without ordering it! 

2. Mission Pizza

Elizabeth Maline

This trendy, downtown hot spot puts a spin on a classic dish and serves some of the best mac and cheese I've ever had. This dish is unconventionally served with charred tomatoes, nduja, which is a traditional Italian salumi, and is drizzled with a balsamic reduction. It is made with a homemade cheese sauce and sprinkled with parmesan cheese on top. The pasta is cooked al dente to create the perfect bite.

If you're going with a group, you might have to get more than one of these for the table because trust me, they will go quick. Though it's an appetizer, it makes for the perfect individualized portion. 

3. Mozzarella Fellas

Elizabeth Maline

In my opinion, this is possibly the most underrated restaurant in Winston-Salem. Their mac and cheese comes in a sizzling skillet and makes for a Instagram-worthy video. It is served with penne pasta and sprinkled with basil to give it that classic Italian flavor. It also comes with two baguettes so you can have some fun with the dish. Mozzarella Fellas should definitely be your next stop in Winston-Salem. 

4. Crafted

You may be thinking that Crafted is a taco place, and you would be correct. So why does it appear on this list? The answer is for its legendary Big Truck Taco, side of Mac and cheese, and mac and cheese quesadilla. Mac and cheese is not the big event at this downtown joint, but it makes its presence known in featured dishes. The Big Truck taco combines pulled pork with barbecue sauce and Crafted's homemade pimento mac and cheese. Believe it or not, the quesadilla is an item on the kids menu, but don't let that fool you. This is a can't miss dish for mac and cheese lovers. Come in hungry because the mac and cheese quesadilla is filling even for an adult. 

5. Whole Foods

Yeah, yeah Whole Foods is everywhere, but do not discount their hot bar mac and cheese. I have to stay away for my own sanity because their mac and cheese really is that good. Luckily, it's readily available at the Winston-Salem Whole Foods location. This is the ultimate comfort food and as long as you're already in the supermarket, you might as well get some to go. It might just come in handy for a late-night snack.

6. West End Coffeehouse

Maya Greenfeld

This may be the strangest and most unexpected pick yet. It's also one of the most underrated places in all of Winston-Salem. If you're lucky and you're there on the right day, you'll find a glimmering mac and cheese pie in the glass case. You read that right. Mac and cheese pie—in all its glory. This is the ultimate find and a hidden gem for mac and cheese lovers. You can get a slice, or even the whole pie if you are so inclined. And, the best part is, you can keep it in the fridge and heat it up as you wish to indulge. 

Overall, Winston-Salem has some great restaurants that love taking funky twists on old favorites. Mac and cheese is no exception. These restaurants will show you a good time when it comes to comfort food, especially on this list of the best mac and cheese in Winston-Salem.