As a Massachusetts native, I can tell you that there are two very different connotations to "Boston Winter." There's the more negative connotation: think huge snowdrifts and ice storms, a la Blizzard of 1978. And then there's the positive connotation, like the Boston Winter event currently taking place at City Hall Plaza.

Boston Winter, sponsored by Berkshire Bank, will run through February and is being billed as "Boston's ultimate holiday destination." There's a skating rink, bike powered light up Christmas trees, and an outdoor holiday market.

This market includes clothing vendors, jewelry vendors, and, of course, food vendors. So, while I was home over break, I had to take the train into my favorite city to test out some of the best food that Boston Winter had to offer.

Stop 1: Bavarian Village Restaurant

What to order: Sausage with sauerkraut

pork, sandwich, hot dog, sausage, mustard, sauerkraut
Shannon Carney

Think of this like the more exotic cousin to a Fenway Frank! The sausages are pulled off the grill right before your eyes and put on a delicious toasted bun. And, it wouldn't be a Bavarian grill without the generous heaping of sauerkraut to finish it off.

Not a fan of fermented cabbage? Then go for the bacon on a stick! Trust me, you'll get your serving of protein no matter what you order here.

Stop 2: North Pole Hot Drinks   

What to order: Belgian waffle with whipped cream

I could smell these bad boys as soon as I walked into Boston Winter, and I was not disappointed. They were fresher than a pair of chicken and waffle sneakers from Nike (yeah, that's a real thing), and the strawberry syrup was next level.

I have always been a proponent of breakfast for dinner, but if these waffles were an option, I'd be having for breakfast for lunch, dinner, and midnight snack!

Stop 3: Sips & Snacks

What to order: Specialty Hot Chocolate

To me, winter isn't winter without hot chocolate. This batch was made on site in a big crockpot container, and there was plenty of whipped cream for garnish. And, even better, there was an assortment of toppings for the taking–I tried not to eat all of the chocolate chips before getting them on my drink.

But, if for some reason you're not a fan of hot chocolate, this popular Boston Winter spot also offers beer and mulled wine. Keeping spirits bright, am I right?

Bonus Bite: Yankee Lobster House

What to order: Lobster mac n' cheese

Confession: When I went to Boston Winter, I got there a little too early for Yankee Lobster Company to open. But, I felt like I had to include it anyway!

If there's one seafood Bostonians love most, it's lobster. And, when the lobster mac n' cheese has been featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives," you know it has to be good! Oh, and did I mention it was only eight dollars? You can pick your jaw up off the floor now.

When I went to Boston Winter, I expected good food with a dose of holiday cheer. I got all that and more, so if you go to school in the area, or are just looking for something to do before First Night, I would definitely recommend checking it out!

Besides, at least it's a little more festive than the food court at Faneuil Hall!