With the semesters flying by, its hard to keep up with which fruits and vegetables are in season. Most people know that fall gives us the best pumpkins and summer has the best fruit but what about produce during other seasons? Now that we’re right in the middle of winter, here’s a guide for your next supermarket visit to help you determine what to buy and what to leave on the shelves.

WINTER

Brussels Sprouts
Carrots
Chestnuts
Clementines
Grapefruit
Kale
Kiwi
Oranges
Pears
Sweet Potatoes
Tangerines
Winter Squash (butternut, spaghetti, acorn, etc.)

clementines

Photo by Sean Koetting

For this winter, head to the grocery store to pack up on Cuties and Clementines. They’re easy to pack on the go and have tons of Vitamin C and beta-carotene, which contributes to healthy vision. Try adding clementines to your next salad or smoothie for some tangy citrus flavoring over winter.

SPRING

Apricots
Asparagus
Broccoli
Corn
Honeydew
Limes
Mango
Oranges
Pineapple
Snow Peas
Spinach
Strawberries

spinach

Photo by Sean Koetting

Spinach has been labeled one of the world’s healthiest vegetables. The classic spinach and artichoke dip is delicious, especially when served with pita bread or chips. Throw a few spinach leaves on your next sandwich to fulfill some of your green quota for the day.

SUMMER

Bell Peppers
Berries (all)
Cantaloupe
Cherries
Corn
Cucumber
Eggplant
Grapes
Jalapeno Peppers
Melons (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon)
Nectarines
Peaches
Plums
Summer Squash
Tomatoes
Zucchini

watermelon

Photo by Sean Koetting

It’s never to early think about summer, right? Watermelons are pretty much a staple at every summer BBQ. They’re a good source of Vitamins A and C and contain about 91% water by weight. Watermelons are great to eat on their own, but this summer, try a watermelon-caprese salad topped with a balsamic drizzle.

FALL

Apples
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Butternut Squash
Cauliflower
Celery
Cranberries
Grapes
Mushrooms
Pears
Pineapple
Pomegranates
Pumpkins
Sweet Potatoes

pomegranates upload.wikipedia.org

Photo courtesy of upload.wikipedia.org

Pomegranates are intimidating at first sight but anyone who’s ever had pomegranate seeds covered in chocolate, or as a topping on frozen yogurt knows they add a unique, delicious taste to whatever they’re paired with. They contain antioxidants, are extremely heart-healthy, and can be added to salads, guacamole and nearly anything else to add color and flavor.

Some of these seasons may seem far away but it never hurts to prepare, right?