Everyone craves dessert. If you don’t, then there is probably something wrong, and you should probably see someone about it. Dessert should be taken seriously; not just any random dessert will do. It’s crucial that you choose the right one to fit your mood in order to truly satisfy your craving. Here is your ultimate dessert-for-your-mood guide.

Happy – Chocolate Chip Cookies

Dessert

Photo by Kelda Baljon

For starters, let me say: if this is your current mood, I’m glad. That’s so great. Time to treat yourself. Cookies are a great treat because, after all, there is nothing happier than warm cookies with a cold glass of milk.

Whether it’s a classic chocolate chip cookie, snickerdoodle, sugar cookie, or even an oatmeal raisin cookie, a cookie is satisfying yet light, and perfect for that treat-yourself kind of day. If you are in a really happy, celebrate-life kind of mood, turn those cookies into an ice cream sandwich. You deserve it.

Dessert

Excited – Mini Cupcakes

Dessert

Photo by Frederick Morin

YES! Something amazing happened in your life! Time to celebrate. Nothing goes better with a glass of champagne than a mini cupcake. First off, they are adorable. Who wouldn’t want to cheers with a mini cupcake? They are also small, so they are mess-free and won’t sit in your stomach for hours weighing you down. They are the perfect little treat to accompany your celebration.

Dessert

Calm – Macaroons

Dessert

Photo by Gabby Phi

It’s good to take some time for yourself and just relax. Why not treat yourself to some dessert to help with your zen? I know I would. Have a macaroon… or a few. Macaroons are light and airy with a touch of sweetness (good news: there are a TON of flavors). They will help you restore and revitalize your mind and soul and give you the added boost that you need.

Dessert

GIF courtesy of huffingtonpost.ca

Sad – Ice Cream

Dessert

Photo by Maggie Rippeto

Don’t worry; it’s going to be okay. Ice cream to the rescue! Yes, it’s a classic. Whether you like your ice cream by the pint, piled high in a waffle cone, or loaded with your favorite unhealthy toppings, you are guaranteed to feel better when you eat it. With its cool temperature and smooth texture, ice cream has a soothing effect that will help with all the tears.

Dessert

Angry – Doughnut

Dessert

Photo by Annie Madole

We all get angry. No one can be calm all the time (yes, even the avid yoga-goers get angry sometimes). If you are boiling with anger and frustration, you should eat a doughnut. Whether you prefer the plain glazed, the frosted and filled, or the classic cake donut, the light airiness of the pastry paired with the sugary sweetness of the frosting will satisfy your sweet tooth and calm you down at the same time.

Dessert

Stressed – Cake

Dessert

Photo by Justin Shannon

Time to pull out all the stops. This is the time when you not only want dessert, but you also NEED it. Dessert’s biggest job is to give you a moment of happiness to grasp onto in a time of hopelessness.

You have a few options to fit your sweet tooth preference: a slice of cake, pie with ice cream, or a really fudgy brownie. Whichever you choose, there are two things you must remember in order to get the job done right and give you some needed emotional relief: 1) the bigger the better, and 2) the richer the better.

Dessert

Whether you are happy, sad, angry, or stressed, there is a dessert for you. Dessert a crucial food group for personal mental health. So always remember that when it comes to dessert, don’t deny your feelings — embrace them.