I’m sure we have all heard the saying “You are what you eat” many times in our lives. Indeed, a healthy diet is integral to living a healthy life. However, research has shown that physical characteristics of a person’s body type are linked to metabolic differences among people. Understanding your body type will teach you which foods to enjoy and stay away from.

What are the different body types?

body type

Photo Courtesy of TheSkinnyMe

There are 3 main categories of body types: ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph. Understanding the body type you have reveals valuable information towards understanding how to get that ideal body of yours.

Ectomorph

body type

Photo Courtesy of Precision Nutrition

Ectomorphs are normally characterized as thin individuals with smaller bone structure and lean muscle. They have a fast metabolism and can afford to have a higher carbohydrate diet. Studies recommend a diet that consists of 55% carbohydrates, 25% protein and 20% fat. Although most people cringe at the advice of eating more carbs, carbs can be an ectomorph’s best friend. Due to their highly active sympathetic nervous system, ectomorphs have a habit of actively converting fat into energy, which is why a high intake of carbohydrates is recommended.

Mesomorph

body type

Photo Courtesy of Precision Nutrition

Mesomorphs have medium bone structure and an athletic body built. The best diet for a mesomorph is a mixed diet, consisting of a balance between carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Research shows that the best diet is 40% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 30% fats. This body type is ideal because mesomorphs are able gain muscle easily, burn fat without difficulty, and also maintain low body fat while eating moderate amounts.

Endomorph

body type

Photo Courtesy of Precision Nutrition

Endomorphs have large bone structure with higher amounts of total body mass. The best diet for an endomorph consists of a higher fat and protein intake with a low and controlled carbohydrate intake. A general healthy diet for this body type is 25% carbohydrates, 35% protein and 40% fats. Contrary to popular beliefs, eating the right fats, like coconut oil, olive oil and avocado, can help burn away the unwanted fats in the body. Unfortunately, since endomorphs have a slower metabolism, they often need to eat 200-500 calories less than their daily reccomended calories, preferably 5-6 small meals throughout the day.

While eating healthy and exercising regularly is important, your body genetics that determine your body type plays an influential role in shaping your physical appearance. Take this time to figure out which body type you have so you can make the best diet choices.