Emerson is a special type of college which is great but kinda sucky when no one acknowledges that our majors exist. I’ve seen so many “What You Should Be Drinking, According to Your Major” posts, but I’ve never seen “VMA” or “Communication Disorders” on that list. Any Emersonian is happy to joke that we don’t have real majors, but, being honest, we work like crazy. We don’t sleep. We do extracurriculars out the wazoo. If anyone needs a drink, it’s us.

(Emerson has a lot of majors though, but they fall under seven umbrellas so this list is broken down by that.)

Communication Sciences and Disorders- Wine

major

You always look like such classy folks. You have pretty much the most real sounding major. You take science and psychology classes. You work in hospitals. You look like you’re so together. Being honest, you’re just like the rest of us: broke college students. So you’re drinking white wine, but it’s a $5 bottle.

Communication Studies- Sangria

major

Photo courtesy of Maureen Didde at Flickr.com

The rest of the majors aren’t really awesome at communication, but you guys have made it into an art. Sangria is made for sharing which is perfect for you because everything you do requires a level of sharing. Communication studies is probably the friendliest of the majors and you’re generally pretty much the most open of the Emersonians.

Journalism- Bacardi

major

Photo courtesy of Ray Beaulieu at Flickr.com

I feel like Bacardi looks classy. And journalism majors, we have our shit together. Or at least we often look like it. It’s never really true though, let’s all be honest there. Which is the real reason Bacardi is here. You could look classy with Bacardi Gold, but you really need Bacardi 151. It has a 75.5% alcohol content. Do not drink it straight, but, as a Journalism major, you’ll need it at least some point in your college career.

Marketing Communication- Beer

major

You’re an adaptable bunch and you know how people tick. You could down a Miller Light with one group of people one night and then an IPA with another the next. You’re versatile, just like beer. There are many sides to you and you need a drink that can keep up with you.

Performing Arts- White Cosmopolitan

major

You are Broadway bound, but you are making Broadway your own way. You probably sing way too much “Hamilton,” but you admire the way Lin-Manuel Miranda has created a new breed of musical. You want to do that to. You need a new type of drink. Something classy but something exciting. There’s where the White Cosmopolitan comes in. Made with vodka, white cranberry juice, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, it’s only available at Daniel, in New York City.

Visual and Media Arts- Jungle Juice

major

You’re a very eclectic bunch. VMA is so broad that it’s always hard to pin down a “type” of VMA student. Some of you want to write, others direct, others produce. You’re the most mixed major so you get the most mixed drink. Plus, you’ll need something strong to party when you finish a weekend of filming.

Writing, Literature, and Publishing- Whiskey

major

WLP encompasses so much. Since Emerson won’t let you break up the major, you’re stuck in the fourth literature class you never wanted to take, just waiting for the day you can focus more on publishing. You need something strong when you’re pulling an all-nighter to read your third novel that week. Plus, Mark Twain and William Faulkner both swear by whiskey.