Don’t feel like heading to your local dining hall for a subpar sandwich, overcooked pasta or some lovely mystery meat, then I’ve got some great ideas for you. This is for the kids not blessed with a kitchen. This is the time to use your top secret griddle. It might be a little more work than just picking something out of a line, but it sure will be worth it.

Your first step is to buy a griddle if you do not already have one. The next step is to take the griddle out of what you thought was the best hiding spot so your RA couldn’t find it during room checks. Don’t forget to set it up far from the smoke detector and next to a fan.

Breakfast

Pancakes

Griddle

Personally my favorite meal of the day. The best (and easiest) breakfast foods would be eggs and pancakes. When you go-to the grocery store, buy the shake and bake pancake mix. All you have to do is add water. For those of you with no cooking ability, this will be PERFECT for you. Shake, pour and flip. It’s as easy as that. If you want to be a little more healthy and creative, check out this recipe.

Eggs

Griddle

Photo by Kathleen Lee

Eggs, on the other hand, can be a little more difficult. For those of you who haven’t learned to cook at home, make sure you look up how to crack an egg. This could lead to a huge mess. On the positive side of eggs, you can make them whatever way that you like, whether that be scrambled, over easy or over hard (this is where the yolk is not runny). This recipe is for your perfect over easy egg.

I’m guessing most of you do not have salt and pepper shakers, cause I know I don’t. In order for your egg to have a good flavor, you’re going to want some. When you’re making your weekly trip to Mcdonald’s with your friends this week, whether it is at noon or 2 am, ask for some extra packets of salt and pepper. TRUST ME, they will come in handy. For those of you who “eat healthy” and do not eat Mcdonald’s, you can always try to “borrow” salt and pepper shakers from your dining hall.

Griddle

Wanna know a secret? You can also make toast on your griddle. Just butter up both sides and let it grill a little. Be careful, though, this could get a little smokey.

Lunch

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Griddle

Photo by Kylie Kinder

So you slept in a little late and missed breakfast… and your class. You’re also done for the day and don’t feel like getting out of your race car PJs and heading to the dining hall. My favorite thing to make is a grilled cheese or maybe two. It’ll make you feel like you’re at home, snuggled up on the couch next to your pooch (that is a dog for those of you who are confused). These recipes are also a way to change up your “regular” grilled cheese into something for someone with a sweet tooth. A few tips: Make sure you butter the sides of the bread that are going to be touching the griddle, or the bread is just going to burn and taste like sh*t. I also like to add some protein, and if you want to make this into a full meal, warm up a can of tomato soup.

A few tips: Make sure you butter the sides of the bread that are going to be touching the griddle, or the bread is just going to burn and taste like sh*t. I also like to add some protein, and if you want to make this into a full meal, warm up a can of tomato soup.

Philly Cheese Steak

Griddle

Photo courtesy of recipeshubs.com

If you have some extra time on your hands, which I’m sure you do because you’re procrastinating your paper, a yummy lunch you can make is a Philly cheese steak. When you go to the grocery store, buy the package of already-shaved steak. Then get some cheese, an onion and maybe a pepper or two. Don’t forget the oil.

Here’s another tip… Put a little oil on griddle first, and add the veggies until they turn colors. Then you can add the steak.

Dinner

Well, there is always my go to, breakfast for dinner. Make your pancakes, and add some chocolate chips. If you’re having a bad day, use all of the chocolate chips. I mean really, make your pancake chocolate mush and smother it with syrup. I promise you it’ll make you feel better, I mean unless you’re allergic to chocolate, then don’t try this.

Quesadillas

Griddle

Photo courtesy of Bailey Culpepper

For those not in the mood for breakfast and love Chipotle, this is your chance to create a masterpiece. Your own quesadilla. These recipes look really tasty and you should give them a try. If you have time, you should make the chicken or eat that you are putting in by yourself on the griddle. By doing this, you can add any spices and flavor that will make your taste buds tingle. And DON’T forget your dipping sauces. My favorite combination would be salsa, sour cream, and of course, the guacamole (it isn’t extra hehe). Once the quesadilla is golden brown on both slides and you can see the cheese about to run, it is time to enjoy.

An any time of day meal

Griddle

Photo courtesy of huffingtonpost.com

So if you open your fridge, how many of you have at least 2 boxes of leftovers? I’m going to guess everyone is nodding their head yes. Whether it’s your pizza from two nights ago or your leftovers from when your parents came to visit this past weekend, they can come in handy. Take those soggy, leftover fries and throw them right on the griddle. They will taste 100 times better than if you put them in your microwave because you will get your little crunch back.

You can heat up a lot of things on your griddle whether it be burgers or pizza. It makes it so much better then putting it in the microwave wave because they will not get soggy and greasy. Check out this recipe for breakfast pizza.