I decided to transfer to the University of Georgia about a year ago. During that year, I experimented with being a vegan, yet here I am in the poultry state. I came from a private university in Chicago and wasn't sure what to expect in the South. I knew I could sell my Uggs on eBay (I made 60 bucks, woohoo!!) and expect to hear "y'all" a lot more, but there were a few things that shocked me. One: you can't order grits without butter, it's impossible. Just accept that life is better with butter and move on. Two: Pillsbury Biscuits are not southern biscuits. And three: Chick-fil-A is not a restaurant, it is a culture.

I thought Chick-fil-A was just a place with cow advertisements, but IT IS MORE. During my first week on campus, someone asked me to grab lunch at "CFA". I asked, "What's that?" and she responded as if I didn't know what football was! CFA is "Chick-fil-A," otherwise known as the place to get a chicken fix in the South.

Here's what you need to know about Chick-fil-A, according to a Midwesterner:

1. If you see a line of people on a college campus, they're giving away free Chick-fil-A

You can almost be 99% certain that a long line anywhere near campus, especially UGA's campus, means free biscuits or nuggets. So don't hesitate, just get in line and get your free food.

2. Dressing up as a cow is basically a holiday

Cow. Appreciation. Day. It's a thing. There is one day a year when you can dress as a cow and get a free entree. So don't be alarmed, it's not Halloween, it's just a day when we can be thankful for the cows in our lives and eat chicken in their honor. 

3. They have some signature sauce options 

If you're a real Chick-fil-A fan, you already know. But I didn't, so  let me give you a brief run down on a few Chick-fil-A sauces for your next visit.

-THE Chick-fil-A sauce is creamy and magical. Close your eyes and lick your lips as you enter the gates of heaven. 

-Polynesian sauce has a  sweet and sour bite.

-Zesty Buffalo is buffalo sauce, but with a kick. 

-Barbecue sauce is always a classic.

-And they even have Sriracha!

Chick-fil-A makes their own sauces, which are far beyond your average ketchup and mustard packet!

4. CFA is always closed on Sundays

Can you even name another fast food restaurant that's closed on Sundays? Chick-fil-A being closed on Sundays is either a blessing (because I really don't need a medium fry and chocolate shake) or a curse (because I can't get the fries and chocolate shake). So basically, just stock up on waffle fries and nuggets, Monday through Saturday, and you should be fine. 

5. Deciding what to order is simple

First off, if you see someone staring at the menu for a hot minute, welcome them to the South, because they are either visiting or experiencing Chick-fil-A for the first time.

If you're new, it's best to stick to the basics by getting waffle fries, nuggets (grilled or fried), a CFA sandwich, a sweet lemonade, or a milkshake.

If you're going healthy, try the grilled chicken wrap - it's not just a tortilla with chicken. Their wrap is on a flaxseed flat bread. Fancy.

If you're gluten-free, let the cashier know, and they can get you a personal, pre-packaged gluten free bun to go with any sandwich. 

As a vegan, I order the Superfood Side. It's a scrumptious kale salad with craisins and nuts. Thank you Chick-fil-A, for representing the kale lovers of the world! #dontkalemyvibe

6. Chick-fil-A's kindness makes them stand out from every other fast food restaurant

There's no way every employee who works at CFA is having a good day 24/7, but they make sure you are the second you drive into the parking lot. They have vases of flowers on each table, people running to hold open the door, and they SMILE. They even give you a refill on your beverage as you leave and will stand in the rain to take drive-thru orders. 

Chick-fil-A uses the hashtag, #thelittlethings, to show that the little things in life can truly make us the happiest. This just about sums up their brand. It's not your average fast food chain. Employees treat customers better than I treat my mom on some days, and the flowers they place on each table look better than the dead ones in my apartment! They care about your experience, they care about how your day is going, and they make sure your hair stays dry in the rain. It really is the little things that matter.

In the end, I've easily come to realize how Chick-fil-A is more than a place to grab waffle fries or a chicken sandwich. It's a home away from home.