Every college student knows the holiday season means two things: a lot of food and the annual family gathering where your relatives ask about your college life. As soon as you walk into the room, you become the topic of conversation and are bombarded with never ending questions and responsibilities. To avoid this dreaded interaction, here are some delicious Christmas treats that will steer the conversation away from you and towards these awesome recipes.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

holiday

Photo by Kristine Auble

These classic cookies will have your parents reminiscing about your childhood when you all used to bake together. They will completely forget about your adult responsibilities and definitely start doing your laundry. With these delicious holiday cookie recipes, you can avoid your new adult life and safely watch Christmas movies like a kid again.

Peppermint Bark

holiday

Photo by Hannah Skiest

A perfect combination of peppermint and chocolate is a great way to celebrate the holidays and is even better for escaping questions. Before your aunt asks if you are in a relationship, give her this crunchy, delicious bark. Her mouth will be way too full to talk so you can hide from commitment under the mistletoe… Alone. Try out the recipe for peppermint bark here.

Eggnog

holiday

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Eggnog is a classic Christmas beverage that is probably the best way to stop grandma from asking about college. Hand her a cup of spiked eggnog and in no time, she’ll start blabbing about the time she got run over by a reindeer. She’ll be too busy to even think about you and will definitely want to know how to make this eggnog at home. Check out how to make homemade vegan eggnog here.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

holiday

Photo by Kristine Auble

This twist on a family favorite will stop anyone from asking if you are making new friends at college. You can even say you got this hot beverage recipe from an international friend you “met at the dining hall.” They will be so preoccupied trying to name all the ingredients in this spicy drink that you can open your Christmas presents in peace. Here are some more ways to change up your hot chocolate.

Gingerbread Men

holiday

Photo by Kristine Auble

A cute, little gingerbread man is a great way to express your Christmas excitement and is a more interesting topic of discussion than your life. Your family might be wondering about your grades, but before you tell them you weren’t able to build up your GPA, show them that you were able to construct an A+ gingerbread man. This festive creation and its tiny details will keep your family in the kitchen while you can sneak your way out of an awkward situation.