You're at a BBQ with lots of friends, lots of family, lots of fun, but... you're a vegetarian.  I've been there, but luckily, I have a lot to say about what to eat at a barbecue if you're vegetarian. 

Barbecues are one of my favorite things ever because what do they mean? Summer.  And now that it's getting cold, I miss the warm weather... a lot.  I miss being outside without wearing enough layers to keep me safe from the tundra here in upstate New York.  So yeah, I guess you could say I'm nostalgic for the summer.

Because I've been a vegetarian for most of my life, I've now pretty much hacked what to eat to make me happy at a BBQ.  So hopefully it will help you, too. 

Veggie Burger

I know this is the obvious choice, but you really can never underestimate a well-made veggie burger.  I have a favorite veggie burger place that never disappoints.  But sometimes it's more fun to have one grilled outside for you.  Add some tomatoes, lettuce, and maybe even some caramelized onions and boom- dinner is served!

Veggie Kabob

mozzarella, vegetable, tomato, caprese salad, basil, cheese, salad
Stephanie Lee

This is actually one of my favorite things to eat any time of the year.  You can literally add anything you want and it makes for a really good treat.  My personal favorite is grilling up some red peppers, zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes.  You can also create one with tomatoes, basil, mozzarella and a balsamic drizzle, and you can pretend like you're in Italy!

Corn on the Cob

corn, pepper, tomato, meat, chicken, salad, vegetable, corn on the cob, grilled corn, cheese, cilantro
Julia Gilman

What's the best food to eat in the summer?  Corn on the cob.  Case closed.  Melt some butter on it... amazing.

Fruit

pineapple, strawberry, berry, fruit salad
Ashley Peek

Fruit is my go-to year round, but I am especially obsessed with it in the summer since eating cold fruit is just so refreshing.  My favorite fruit is hands down pineapple.  Pro tip: Throw some rings of pineapple on the grill.  You can thank me later.

Salad

salad, vegetable
Danielle Cahoon

Salad can be boring, I know.  I used to hate salads because everyone just assumed that's what vegetarians ate at every meal.  Wrong, but now I actually love salad because they make for a blank slate that you can get pretty creative with.  So next time you have a salad, spice it up.  Add some fruit or avocado to the mix.  My strategy is honestly just throwing in anything that I like, and it usually works out.  And there are always salads at barbecues.

Grilled Cheese

toast, butter, bread, pancake, grilled cheese sandwich, sweet, cake, honey, pastry, cheese
Christin Urso

Now if you want to know what I really grew up on, here ya go.  At every barbecue, because I was the pickiest eater there, I always used to have the host grill me up one of these.  You can really never go wrong with a good grilled cheese.  It's a classic!

Dessert

blueberry, bread, sweet, pastry, pie, cherry pie, cherries, dessert, Baking, making pie
Julia Gilman

Need I say more?  I always have dessert.  Every single night.  This is what to eat at a barbecue if you're vegetarian.  You can't go wrong with some ice cream or blueberry pie.  And lucky for us, all dessert is safe for vegetarians! (Well, all besides this one... I don't really think we're missing out, though). 

So next time you vegetarians go to a barbecue, dig in!  And if you're worried that there will be nothing you can eat, bring some food yourself!  I love making big salads that I know I can eat.  There can never be enough food at a good summer barbecue.