Portland, Oregon is a rapidly growing city known for its rose garden, Voodoo Doughnuts, tree lovers, and strip clubs. There are tons of places to explore, but if you’re only in Portland for a day, here’s how to make the most of your trip.

Breakfast at St. Honoré Bakery

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Start your day with breakfast at St. Honoré’s. All their pastries are made in-house and taste delicious. My personal favorite is the maple bacon croissant. Grab one or two pastries and a cup of coffee, and head up the hills to your next destination.

International Rose Test Garden

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

This beautiful rose garden, located in Washington Park, is home to hundreds of different types of roses and thousands of rose plants. It’s no wonder Portland is nicknamed the Rose City. You won’t find so many beautiful roses anywhere else. Plus, if you visit on a clear day, you can see downtown Portland from the garden.

If you prefer something a little more active, check out the hikes at Forest Park.

Lunch at Imperial Restaurant

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Head into the city for lunch at Imperial, an upscale restaurant in the heart of downtown. If you’re there on the weekend, try Imperial’s unique brunch options from Dungeness crab omelets to potato latkes.

Powell’s City of Books

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Walk a couple of blocks to Powell’s, the largest independent new and used bookstore in the world. It takes up the whole block with 68,000 square feet or 1.6 acres of retail space. You’ll be able to find books for every desire. Before you get too caught up in a book, check out the rare book room on the top floor.

If books aren’t your thing, check out one of Portland’s many brew ‘n’ view theaters.

Stumptown Coffee and Blue Star Donuts

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

In need of an afternoon pick-me-up? Head over to Stumptown for a delicious cup of coffee or to Blue Star for a brioche donut, or get both.

Waterfront Park and Portland Saturday Market

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon strolling alongside Willamette River at Waterfront Park. On the way, you’ll find Portland Saturday Market, the largest outdoor arts and craft market. It’s a great spot to pick up unique, locally made souvenirs for family and friends.

Dinner at The Waiting Room

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Get ready for the best fried chicken and sweet potato hash you’ll ever have. The Waiting Room is a new restaurant in Portland’s Alphabet District that serves fried chicken and mussels with a number of other delicious side dishes. After dinner, try The Waiting Room’s banana cream pie or head across the street for ice cream.

Dessert at Salt & Straw

portland

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

End the night with the best ice cream in the world. Salt & Straw has 12 classic flavors and five monthly ones. My personal favorite is coffee and bourbon, but you can’t go wrong with any of them.

If ice cream isn’t your thing, treat yourself to Papa Haydn’s delicious desserts.