If you've ever had the opportunity to try a soup dumpling, you know it's an experience like no other. There is no surprise quite like biting into a freshly steamed wrapped bun to be welcomed not only by an overwhelming indulgent meaty pork filling, but also an explosion of warm, savory broth that just runs along the grooves of your mouth and dribbles down your chin. The art of these satisfying satchels can easily be argued as the actual eighth wonder of the world; because how the soup remains inside the bun as it's cooked is a real mystery, but not for much longer.

The origins of soup dumplings can be traced back over a hundred years, from Nanxiang, a suburb in the northern Jiading District of Shanghai. It was in this town's notable park of Guyi Garden, that this popular bite-size dumpling was first served around 1875, expanding into downtown Shanghai, and outward. It eventually reached Taiwan, which is where this snack reached global attention via the now world-renowned chain of restaurants known as Din Tai Fung.

Jasmine Tang

These little things go by a variety of names: soup dumplings, Shanghai-style dumplings, xiaolongbao or XLB for short, but they are famous for their three signature components: paper-thin dough wrap, large, tender, and strongly flavored filling, and a rich, aromatic broth. The literal translation of them being "little basket buns." But how can this simple three-element treat seem like such a complex creation?

The trick doesn't require a syringe or any sort of injection as one might assume. Instead, this impressive innovation is made from a rich broth that is cooled into a super gelatinous stock and cut into cubes. These jelly cubes are then wrapped into the dough along with the ground pork. Then the dumplings are placed in a bamboo basket and steamed, liquefying the stock to create those soupy satchels of goodness.

The beauty of this experience doesn't only need to take place at fancy restaurants. This simple yet clever innovation can be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home, for when you don't want to be judged for enjoying your food a bit too much (we all moan while eating something delicious from time to time again, it's okay to admit it).

A step-by-step process including pictures illustrated by Bon Appétit can be viewed here. Take a peek for a quick rundown to start the seducing temptation of slurping up these steamy morsels of yumminess in your kitchen.

The mystery behind these dumplings is no longer; so get ready to enjoy all that and dim sum with these pork-packed pieces.