32 countries, proud jersey-wearing fans, and both cheers and frustrations being let out onto millions of TV screens. It's finally the event that many of us count down to: the 2018 FIFA World Cup. You may be rooting for your team in the Ekaterinburg Arena, at home with your family, out with your friends, or sneaking glances on your phone while you're at work. Football fans are celebrating all around the world in their own ways, often in foods unique to their countries. If you're looking to fully immerse yourself in the World Cup celebrations, here's a list of snacks you should be eating based on the country you're supporting. 

Argentina: Empanadas de Carne 

Empanadas can be found in many countries of Spanish-speaking origin. Empanada comes from the Spanish verb empanar which means to wrap in bread. They are folded dough around a stuffing of cheese, meat, or vegetables. In Argentina they are commonly eaten during parties and festivals and typically contain beef. 

Australia:  Vegemite on Toast 

You either absolutely hate it or absolutely love it. Vegemite is a staple in most Australian households. It's unique, salty flavor comes from a blend of brewer's yeast extract, salt, barley malt extract, B vitamins, and vegetable extract. If you really want to support your team, spread some of that good ol' Vegemite on your toast.  

Belgium: Frites Mayonnaise 

Frites are life and life is frites. You'll be able to find this street food on practically every block in Belgium. I'm not a big fan of mayonnaise but even I can't turn away this magical snack. 

Brazil: Brigadeiros

Brigadeiro is a dessert consisting of little balls of condensed milk, cocoa powder, and butter that are usually covered in chocolate sprinkles. They can be homemade or bought in elegant brigadeiro boutiques. You could go all out and decorate them as little soccer balls! 

Colombia: Arepas 

The possibilities are endless with arepas. They are ground maize dough or cooked flour and are eaten daily with cheese, avocado, split for sandwiches, or eaten as a side. 

Costa Rica: Patacones

Patacones, also known as tostones, are fried green plantains. They come in many sizes depending on their purpose as they can be eaten as a side, with ceviche, or with heaps of food on top. 

Croatia: Suhe Smokve 

Suhe smokve, or dried figs, are a common treat in Croatia. They are picked during the summer and then dried for the winter. 

Denmark: Smørrebrød

Forget about avocado toast, smørrebrød is where it's at. Danes take their smørrebrød very seriously and eat it with a fork and knife. The key is the dense and sour Danish rye used as a base to layer on whatever your heart desires. Sometimes Danes use leftovers to improvise their smørrebrød creation. 

Egypt: Ta'ameya

Ta'ameya is the Egyptian version of falafel. The only difference is that is they are made out of fava beans rather than chickpeas which makes them lighter and moister. Pair them with yogurt to top it off. 

England: Toad in the hole 

Toad in the hole is a traditional English dish containing sausages in Yorkshire pudding batter. Serve it with vegetables for a World Cup viewing party and you're all set. 

France: Galette-saucisse 

Hot dogs aren't enough for the World Cup. A galette-saucisse is a French street food consisting of a warm sausage wrapped around a cold, galette de sarrasin crepe. 

Germany: Currywurst 

Where else would this German street food have been created than Berlin, the city of experimentation and creativity. After WWII, a German bar owner obtained curry powder from British soldiers and mixed it with ketchup, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce before pouring it over pork sausage. A masterpiece.  

Iceland: Chocolate-covered Licorice

No one loves licorice more than Iceland. Chocolate and licorice together? Sounds like a match made in heaven. 

IR Iran: Chelo Kebab

Chelo kebab is considered the national dish of Iran. The rice pilaf is buttery, forming a crisp, golden crust at the bottom of the pan that everyone wants a bit of. It is then paired with any variation of the Iranian kebab. 

Japan: Tsukune 

Japanese tsukune are essentially chicken meatballs with garlic and ginger. They are placed on a skewer to make it easier to dip them in egg if you're in the mood. 

Korea Republic: Korean Fried Chicken

What makes Korean fried chicken so much better than the American version is that it's fried twice, giving it more crunch and less grease. It can be seasoned with sweet garlic-soy glaze or hot red-pepper sauce. Talk about the perfect game food. 

Mexico: Tacos Al Pastor 

These are also known as tacos de trompo or tacos de adobada. The pork marinates in dried chilies, pineapple, and various spices and then slowly cooked on a rotating, vertical rotisserie. The it is thinly sliced and served on corn tortillas with pineapple, onions, and cilantro.  

Morocco: Chicken Pastilla 

The perfect balance of sweet and salty. The crisp layers of werqa dough contrasts the savory, shredded meat cooked in spices and broth which then contrasts the crunchy layer of toasted almonds, cinnamon, and sugar. 

Nigeria: Puff Puff

Nigerian puff puffs are like beignets but better. They're a little more dense and can be covered in a honey-like syrup. 

Panama: Tamales Panameños

Tamales can be found in many Latin American countries. They consist of meats inside of dough that are then wrapped in banana leaves before being steamed to perfection. 

Peru: Ceviche 

In Peru, ceviche is considered a national dish. It consists of chunks of raw fish, onions, and chili peppers marinated in fresh key lime juice. Talk about a fresh snack! 

Poland: Pierogi 

Pierogi are sweet or savory filled dumplings. The possibilities are endless as they can be filled with mashed potatoes, cheese, fried onions, meat, spinach, plum, raspberries, and much more. 

Portugal: Pastéis de Bacalhau 

These bite-size delicacies are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. They're sometimes referred to as salt cod critters and are a mixture of eggs, onion, potatoes, and bacalhau (codfish), 

Russia: Vareniki

Vareniki are the Russian equivalent of pierogis. If you're rooting for the host country, this is the perfect snack. 

Saudi Arabia: Mutabbaq

Also known as mutabbak or matabbak, mutabbaq is a stuffed egg-filled pancake mixed with minced meat and green onion. 

Senegal: Accara 

These black-eyed pea fried fritters are a street food snack often paired with kina, a spicy pepper sauce. They can be eaten alone or stuffed into a baguette with onion, tomato, and lettuce for a tasty sandwich. 

Serbia: Krofne

Krofne are airy, light filled doughnuts similar to beignets. They can be filled with jelly, chocolate, butter, nutella, cinnamon, custard, or creme. 

Spain: Croquetas de Jamón

My personal favorite: croquetas are served throughout the day in Spain whether it be for tapas, a light lunch, or at a bar. They are small balls of béchamel mixed with a meat, fish, cheese, or vegetables. They are then coated in bread crumbs and eggs before being fried. You'll be screaming GOL after every bite. 

Sweden: Toast Skagen 

Don't be fooled, this mix of prawns and mayonnaise on a piece of sautéed bread is a symbol of elegance in Sweden. It's typically a starter for special occasions and what better occasion than the World Cup? 

Switzerland: Rösti

This dish consists of mostly potatoes and is crisp on the outside and holds gooey potato goodness on the inside. Rösti used to be a simple peasant breakfast dish but is now eaten at all times of the day and has spread to other countries. It can be eaten plain or topped with fish, ham, cheese, and much more. 

Tunisia: Brik 

Brik consists of thin dough sheets filled with tuna, ground meat, egg, chicken, or cheese. They are then deep fried to create crispy outer shell. 

Uruguay: Torta Frita 

These sweet treats can be found in both Uruguay and Argentina and are typically made on rainy days. They are flat pieces of fried dough similar to funnel cake and are great paired with dulce de leche or marmalade. Tortas fritas can be enjoyed with coffee or tea. 

Whoever you're rooting for, go full out with a traditional food from their country! Whether they win or lose, you'll still be eating good food so you're still winning right?