Many people have unfortunate living circumstances when they move away to uni. I, however, am lucky enough to live with one of my favourite human beings on the planet — who also happens to be a member of the Spoon KCL team.

Photo courtesy of Phoebe Ratcliffe

Heema and I met on day zero of Freshers' week and we've been best friends ever since. So naturally, when I founded the KCL chapter of Spoon back in April of this year, Heema was one of my earliest recruits. 

When we decided to move in together for year 2, it very quickly became apparent that Spoon University was going to be a major thing in our household — so here's what it's like living with another Spoon member!

1. We eat well

Mun Ling Koh

The one real requirement for joining Spoon is that you have to have some kind of interest in food and/or wellness. Because of this, both of us eat very healthily 80-90% of the time and our fridge is always full of colourful foods.

2. The kitchen is always messy

Heema Gokani

The 10% of the time that we're not eating healthily usually comes when I've decided to go on a baking spree. I'm not very good at leaving the kitchen tidy when I do this, so there are often dirty dishes out or flour that needs wiping up. Things are always clean by the evening, though (I promise)!

3. We're used to finding tidy spots in a hurry

Heema Gokani

I'm a very messy person, especially when I'm working. Sadly, paper thrown across the table doesn't make for a very photogenic background so we're super speedy and throwing my mess somewhere else if Heema needs to snap some photos in a hurry.

4. Spoon takes up a large amount of our home time

Heema Gokani

Both of us are generally quite busy and are in and out of the house all the time. Whenever we're both in together, it's almost inevitable that the topic of Spoon will come up at some point, whether that means planning potential socials or pestering each other about articles that need completing.

5. She gets roped into most Spoon things

Heema Gokani

Heema is officially a member of the Spoon KCL photography team, but she's also unofficially my right-hand-woman. Whenever things need to be done in a hurry, she often goes above and beyond and ends up stepping in purely because she lives with me. (Sorry Heems!)

6. It's a lot of fun

Heema Gokani

Between healthier dessert recipes and ranking chocolate, Spoon brings a lot of colour into our household. Living together makes it super easy to collaborate on articles and having another foodie around 24/7 means there's never a dull moment.

I mean — I'm not suggesting that you all suddenly move in with your teammates, but it sure makes things easier when you're running around trying to get an article sorted before the deadline. But if you do live with another Spoonie, be warned: Spoon University will be everywhere!