Lately, red tea companies have been boasting that red tea has all the benefits of green tea but without the caffeine. It's better known as rooibos, at least in America that's what we call it. But what's the difference between green and red (rooibos) tea? How does green tea compare to Matcha green tea?

I've got the low down on the teas and hopefully, all our questions will be answered except which cup you should have now.

Red (Rooibos) Tea

File:Rooibos tea in a glass with dry rooibos.jpg

Image from WikiCommons

Caffine Content: Naturally caffeine free 

Origin: Cape Region South Africa as a medicinal herbal tea

Mineral Content: iron, calcium, potassium, copper, manganese, zinc, and magnesium.

Benefits*: Antioxidants. Anti-inflammatory. Reduces insomnia and high blood pressure. Boosts immune system and blood circulation as well as eases cramps, abdominal pain, headaches and stress. Good for bone, skin and hair, ease/protect from Diabetes and symptoms of Type II Diabetes.

Precautions: It interferes with cancer treatments like chemotherapy.

*All the benefits are increased on regular consumption

Green Tea (Leaf Form)

File:China - Chengdu 22 - green tea (140902695).jpg

Image from WikiCommons

Caffeine Content: 25 mg ( a little less than half a cup of coffee)

Origin: Asian evergreen containing flavonoids and catechins

Mineral Content: Catechins, Chlorophyll Potassium, calcium, fluorine, saponins, phosphorus, manganese, γ-aminobuytryic acid (GABA). 

Benefits*: Antioxidants. Lowers cholesterol, stops damage to cells and prevents tooth decay, good for bone, skin and hair health, reduces risk of cancer, improves artery and brain function, memory, reaction speed, stress and hypertension activities, boosts the immune system, protects the brain from aging, reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease.

Precautions: Caffeine content can increase insomnia. It may not be suitable for people who are caffeine sensitive. 

Matcha Green Tea (Powder Form)

File:Matcha (6328677556).jpg

Image from WikiCommons

Caffeine Content: around 70 mg

Origin: Asian evergreen containing flavonoids and catechins

Mineral Content: Catechins, Chlorophyll Potassium, calcium, fluorine, saponins, phosphorus, manganese, γ-aminobuytryic acid (GABA) 

Benefits: Antioxidants. Lowers cholesterol, stops damage to cells and prevents tooth decay. It's good for bone, skin and hair health, reduces risk of cancer, improves artery, brain function, memory, reaction speed, stress and hypertension activities. Boosts the immune system and protects the brain from aging. Plus: It is also used as an ingredient in some recipes.

Precautions: Greater caffeine content, more harmful to people who suffer from insomnia and from being caffeine-sensitive 

What it boils down to: 

All three teas clearly have very similar health benefits. But the main difference between green and red tea is the caffeine content. 

When it comes to the green teas, matcha's benefits are amplified. For matcha green tea, the whole leaf is ground into a powder. Loose leaf green tea is steeped through a bag and then discarded after so you aren't consuming the other leaf. 

Matcha has a larger amount of caffeine that can be compared to half a cup of coffee, whereas leaf-based green tea has as much caffeine as a third of a cup of coffee.  

Red (Rooibos) tea is generally less expensive than green tea, Matcha is much more expensive. Red tea can also be bought in powder form, but it is more popular in its loose-leaf form. Red tea is generally paired with rich flavors, like vanilla, and green teas are typically paired with fruity flavors, like passion fruit.

In conclusion...

Both green and red teas are both good choices, just be mindful of your caffeine sensitivity and time of day.