We've all seen the sous vide egg bites at our local Starbucks and I'm sure we've all asked the same question—what is sous vide? If you're confused about this cooking style, you're not alone. Sous vide may sound like a high-scale trend that's impossible to recreate at home, but that's far from the truth. If anything, it's so simple, it may blow your mind.

What Is Sous Vide?

Sous vide (French for "under vacuum") is a cooking technique in which the food is vacuum sealed in a plastic bag, or sealed jar, submerged in water and heated at a consistent, controlled temperature. Since the temperature is controlled precisely, the finished results can be predicted every time.

When you think about it, it makes perfect sense. When we cook traditionally, heat is transferred from the burner, to the pan, to the food. When using an oven, the surrounding air and pan is always hotter, so both methods must involve removing the food at the right time so it doesn't under or overcook. Using the sous vide method, food is heated to the exact temperature required to cook evenly. You can even leave the food in the water bath without the worry of overcooking it. 

What to Make With the Sous Vide Method

Yep, basically everything. From steak to chicken to eggs, to all the veggies, this method can be used for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It can be used for large foods and feasts, such as pork or ribs, or a snack as small and simple as hard-boiled eggs.

If you want to try your hand at using the sous vide method at home, USA Today shared a great video on how to make Starbucks-style sous vide egg bites right at home. Or you can make this omelette in a bag, a super moist sous vide burgershrimp, or this surprisingly simple sous vide cheesecake

toast, bread, butter, egg, egg yolk, dairy product, wheat
Kirby Barth

You can find a wide range of sous vide machines and parts from places such as Amazon, Best Buy to even Walmart. Just do some research and look up which option best suits your needs. However, sous vide machines and parts can range from $100 to up to $400, which doesn't even include a food saver. There are plenty of ways to try the sous vide method without spending a fortune on cooking supplies. 

LifeHacker.com suggests trying it using a multipurpose pot (they specifically suggested Presto Multi-Cooker), an aquarium pump for circulation and a precise thermometer. According to Serious Eats, you can even try to cook your meal using a beer cooler. People tend to forget that a cooler can trap heat inside just as well as isolate it from the outside. Be careful, though, they also say this option is better for sous vide recipes that are shorter on time, so if you're looking for a more intricate feast it would be wise to get the actual sous vide cooker. 

If you're feeling adventurous, give this unique cooking technique a go and show everyone how it's done. You'll cook everything so perfect and evenly, you'll have friends and family like. . .