I thought I was better than simple syrup. It was always that one cocktail item I never wanted to buy, and I honestly can't tell you why. I'd note all the recipes that asked for simple syrup, but I would just get annoyed, close the browsing tab, and look for other "better" cocktails that didn't use this mysterious ingredient. My mentality entirely changed when my friend strolled into my apartment with a bottle of simple syrup in hand that unlocked a world of more advanced cocktails for me. You may be now wondering, what is simple syrup – well, it's literally as basic as sugar water.

How to Make Simple Syrup

With a description like that, you can imagine how ridiculously easy it is to prepare – equal parts sugar, equal parts water, and shake vigorously. The best sugar for the job is superfine sugar, aka granulated sugar ground more finely than table sugar. The smaller the crystals, the more quickly they will dissolve.

#SpoonTip: Try out rich simple syrup to have a little go a longer way. To make it, just increase the proportion of sugar to water. Some bartenders up the ratio to 1.5 parts sugar to 1 part water, while some even just go 2:1.

Ways to Use Simple Syrup

tea
Mackenzie Huggins

This is not where I give you a list of cocktails to make (but that does come later). Simple syrup works well as a sweetener for coffee and tea. It blends better in your beverage since the sugar's already dissolved in the water, and it saves you a morning kitchen clean up. You can also use it to extend the life of your baked goods or top them with an extra layer of sweetness. Simple syrup is also great to throw over a fruit salad to keep things sweet.

#SpoonTip: Here are more ways to use simple syrup besides in a cocktail. 

Cocktails That Use Simple Syrup

Practically every cocktail can benefit from a splash of simple syrup. Whether you're in the mood for a Boston whiskey sour or a Miami mojito, a New Orleans hurricane, or a Kentucky mint julep, simple syrup will help you get there. 

Now that you know what simple syrup is, learn from my mistakes and buy it right away. I wasted valuable time measuring out sugar by the spoonful when I really could've been mastering the world of cocktails.

#SpoonTip: Spoon University does not support underage drinking or binge drinking. Please drink responsibly, friends!