I don't exactly know when my obsession with queso started, but I haven't looked back since. It's a staple in my diet (to my parents' dismay), and when I'm cooking for myself I pretty much find any way possible to add queso to my dish – whether it be on top of picadillo, on the side of grilled chicken, or in a gourmet homemade quesadilla. Now, you might be wondering "what is queso?" Well friend, get ready because this article might be a turning point in your culinary life. 

Queso is a Mexican-inspired appetizer or side dish of thick and creamy melted cheese. Not to be confused with queso fundido, which is a dish of solely melted hot cheese (perfect for some cheese pull Instas).

But it doesn't just stop there, it never does. You can add some pizzazz to your queso by mixing up the ingredients. There's queso blanco, which is made of primarily white cheese, as well as variations to the ordinary melted cheese by adding chile peppers, jalapeños, different types of meat, pico de gallo, etc.

History of The World's Most Perfect Food

Queso has taken over the world of Tex-Mex, and has crept up to become the unofficial dish of Texas. And who are we to thank for the creation of this cheesy goodness? Otis Farnsworth, the man who opened the Original Mexican Restaurant in San Antonio in 1900. Even though his recipe was lost among the hands of family, in the early 1920s, the women of San Antonio came together to create a cookbook in which they would reveal an inspired recipe using American cheese. Tex-Mex hasn't looked back since. Rather, the popularity of this dish has inspired many other cultures to adopt their own version, for example – Kimchi queso.

Now that you're versed in the what, it's time to figure out the how. 

How to Make Your Own Queso

chips and queso, Qdoba, cheese, chips, nachos
Sarah Koepsell

This dish is entirely customizable, so let your preferences define what queso is for you. If you crave queso that packs a punch, add some jalapeños, habanero peppers, tabasco sauce, and pepper jack cheese into the mix. If you're trying something new and willing to experiment, add hummus into the recipe to make your queso dip creamier and more delicious. If you want a classic queso that's guaranteed to please, just follow your gut and throw in whatever catches your fancy – onion powder, cilantro, green chiles, garlic, onions.

#SpoonTip: I totally understand if you're too lazy to make your own queso, we're all busy people. Check out this article to find the best queso destinations in each of the 50 states.

Whip out the crispy tortilla chips or the warm tortillas, drizzle on some queso, and enjoy your new favorite Tex-Mex dish!