I can hardly keep up with all the food trends and kinds of "superfoods" you can add to your diet for added health benefits. Maca powder may not be the cheapest superfood around, but its nutritional value definitely makes it worth trying. Maca originated in the Andes of Peru, and apparently Inca warriors used to eat the superfood for endurance purposes. 

What is maca powder? Well, maca is a root similar to radishes or turnips, but is typically consumed in powder form (although you can also take them in capsules). Like flaxseed, you can add maca powder to just about anything. It does have a distinct, nutty flavor, however. As it has been around for thousands of years, it's packed with some nutritional values you won't want to miss out on. 

Benefits of Maca Powder

Angela Kerndl

Maca powder is a nutrient-dense superfood that reportedly supports energy and vitality without the undesirable effects of stimulants. Maca is considered an adaptogen, because it can help your body reduce the negative effects of stress and combat fatigue for a overall improved well-being. It's also a good source of plant protein, rich in fiber, packed with essential fatty acids, and also contains loads of minerals, including potassium, iron, and zinc. 

Angela Kerndl

Maca powder is packed with antioxidants, and can also enhance energy, mood, and memory without giving you the jitters like high levels of caffeine will. Studies have shown consumption of maca can increase sexual desire, and also reduce symptoms of anxiety or depression. It's also proven to improve fertility and aid in balancing hormone levels.  

Maca Recipes

Angela Kerndl

There are tons of simple ways to toss maca into your everyday food that make reaping its benefits easy. Maca can easily be added to a smoothie, juice, or enjoyed in warm almond milk with a drizzle of honey and a dash of cinnamon for a healthy morning alternative to coffee. Maca will give you a stable amount of energy and won't make you crash like coffee will. Other easy recipes that you can add maca to include energy bars, shakes, and muffins. 

Angela Kerndl

Adding even just a teaspoon of maca powder to your breakfast can help jump start your day, and make ditching that morning coffee a little easier.