Trying kefir for the first time was a weird experience. I was still in high school, no part of me cared about being healthy, and my mom all but forced me to drink it. I was surprised at how much I liked it and how good it made me feel. Since then, I have jumped on the kefir bandwagon and now drink the stuff regularly. What is kefir, you ask? Many have heard about this drink in passing, but few actually know what it is. I did some digging to find out exactly what this creamy drink is that I fell in love with so many years ago. 

What is Kefir?

What Is Kefir?

Kefir is a fermented drink that tastes a lot like a Go-Gurt, but definitely is a lot better for your body. Kefir is usually made with a milk product, but can also be made with dairy-free options for all the vegans out there who want to get in on this newer trend. This yogurt-like drink is made of healthy yeasts and probiotics that do wonders for your body.

To make kefir, you need to take the kefir "grains" (which aren't actual grains, but rather all the healthy bacteria/yeast) and add them to milk or a milk substitute. The grains are added to the milk, then the milk is warmed so the drink can culture, which usually takes around 24 hours. Once the drink is fully cultured and the texture has become thicker, the grains are separated from the milk and the drink is chilled in the fridge. The process is pretty simple, and you can even make your own kefir at home!

To make kefir you need to take the "grains" (which aren't legit grain, but rather all the healthy bacteria/yeast that helps ferment the milk) and add them to milk or a milk substitute. The grains are added to the milk, then the milk is warmed so the drink can culture, which takes around 24 hours. Once the drink is fully cultured and the texture has thickened, the grains are separated from the milk and the drink is chilled in the fridge. The process is pretty simple, and you can even make your own kefir at home.

Kefir, besides being pretty tasty for such a nutritious drink, can actually improve your health. This drink increases bone strength, boosts your immune system, prevents gastrointestinal infections, heals skin, improves digestion, and is even 99% lactose-free. Because kefir is fermented, very little lactose remains, meaning those who are lactose-free can likely drink Kefir.

Kefir, besides being pretty tasty for such a nutritious drink, can actually improve your health. This drink increases bone strength, boosts your immune system, prevents gastrointestinal infections, heals skin, improves digestion, and is even 99% lactose-free. Because kefir is fermented, very little lactose remains in the final product, meaning those who are lactose-free can most likely drink it. Basically, kefir is for everyone and has so many benefits that need to be experienced. I know when I started drinking it regularly, my body just felt cleaner.

What Does Kefir Taste Like?

What Does Kefir Taste Like?

Surprisingly, kefir is pretty tasty, which you wouldn't expect since it's a fermented dairy beverage. You can either drink it alone (which is what I do), or look up fun recipes to use kefir in. Kefir also comes in multiple flavors such as blueberry and strawberry, so there's sure to be a flavor you'll enjoy.

The next time you're in the grocery store, be sure to pick up a bottle of kefir and enjoy its many benefits. Who knows, you might get hooked on the stuff like me!