Ah, Fireball. Some people love it and some people hate it. I'm one of those who loves it. Honestly, Fireball is probably one of my favorite shots, along with tequila. It also mixes great in other drinks like Coke, apple cider and as my friends and I discovered during the fall semester, hot chocolate. But what is Fireball and what is it made of? The company is pretty secretive about their exact ingredients, but after a little digging, I found some interesting information.

#SpoonTip: Fireball whisky is spelled without the "e" in whisky because the company claims its roots originate in Canada, where that is the spelling. So, no, that's not a typo. 

Cinnamon

cinnamon, herb, relish, condiment, cloves
Natalie Rodriguez

One reason that people don't like Fireball seems to often be that they simply don't like cinnamon. You may be wondering if the flavoring used in Fireball is synthetic or not. According to the liquor company's website, Fireball is made with real cinnamon, and "any details beyond that are too secret to share." I guess they don't want people making their own batches of the stuff.

Canadian Whisky

alcohol, whisky, wine, liquor, beer, maple syrup, syrup
Christin Urso

The website also says that Canadian whisky "ages gracefully," and although the whisky used is Canadian, it is aged in American bourbon barrels.

Propylene Glycol 

Yikes. Fireball was actually recalled from three European countries in 2014, but never in the US. The reason for pulling it off the shelves: An ingredient also found in antifreeze called propylene glycol is also found in Fireball. Although the FDA allows about 50 grams per kilogram of the chemical in foods (like soda and ice cream) and Fireball contains about less than an eighth of it, the sound of that certainly doesn't make me want to party.

The Fireball website also addresses this, stating it that is 100 percent safe to drink and that the media has twisted the truth. It is important to note the difference between pharmaceutical grade PG, which is used in food, and industrial grade PG, which would be used in antifreeze. 

So I wouldn't worry next time you decide to serve up some Fireball shots at your next pregame — I know I'll still be buying it. Fireball's reasoning behind using this ingredient is that it is "used in a large variety of flavors to give most of today's food and beverages their distinctive taste." 

So now you may feel more informed on what Fireball is, or maybe you have just more questions. I, for one, would love to watch the process of how it is made and am curious about their secrets that make Fireball one of my top alcoholic beverages. To that I say, pour one out, but as always, drink responsibly.

#SpoonTip: Spoon University does not support binge drinking or underage drinking. Seriously, it's not worth it to get yourself in trouble with this sh*tty of a liquor.