Whether you're relaxing in the Florida Keys or are laying out in your backyard, chances are this spring break will bring you some serious Vitamin D time. Nothing is better than a refreshing drink in your hand while soaking up some rays. My drink of choice? A Bahama Mama. This cocktail makes you feel like you're dipping your toes in warm sand, even when it's grey outside.

What is a Bahama Mama? This isn't a drink with any set "rules," so it's the perfect drink when you're short on cash. A lot of recipes call for name brand alcohol, but I can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive liquor. This cocktail is perfect for when the party has already started and you don't want to be the one to run out to the grocery store to buy the necessary ingredients.

Origins of the Bahama Mama

Sunset, sunsets, palm trees, palm tree, Beach, beaches
Denise Uy

Can you take a guess where this spunky drink originated? The Bahamas! This drink is rumored to be indirectly named after Dottie Lee Anderson, a Caribbean dancer and performer in the 1930s who also went by the stage name "Bahama Mama." Another theory is that this cocktail became popular during the Prohibition when the Bahamas were used as a rum smuggling base. While there are many theories as to how this cocktail came to be, no one's certain which is true. 

How to Make a Bahama Mama

As long as you have most of the main ingredients ingredients, I'm sure you can get away with calling your concoction a Bahama Mama. This popular cruise staple is typically made with a few key ingredients like dark and light rum, pineapple juice, and some type of citrus like lemon, lime, or orange. Many recipes also call for coconut and coffee liqueurs, but don't sweat it if you don't have any on hand.

If you want to make a Bahama Mama with limited ingredients, this simple cocktail recipe is the one for you. For a more traditional cocktail, try this Bahama Mama recipe.

But, What Does it Taste Like?

This brightly colored sugar rush is like a tropical vacation in drink form. Depending on how much rum you decide to add, it can be a little more on sweet side once you add the pineapple juice. Adding soda gives it a slight fizz, making it a great option for those who aren't really into the flavor of hard alcohol. Since the alcohol can easily be masked, be sure to pace yourself. Trust me — it will eventually hit you, and when it does, it will hit you hard. 

The traditional way to sip on this treat is over ice, but it can be made into an adult Slurpee by pulsing all the ingredients in a blender. The mix of little pieces of ice makes this an even better treat while you're complaining that spring break can't come soon enough.  

You may not be at sailing through the Caribbean, but at least you can pretend that you are with this drink. And if you can't make it to the beach this Spring Break, whip up this fruity cocktail and enjoy.